Wilson’s Court Canongate Royal Mile Edinburgh
Wilson’s Court found between Bakehouse Close and Cooper’s Close was once circa 1650 A sandstone quarry which was filled in and a tenement now stands. Surrounding the court Holyrood Brewery was built. Andrew Berwick established a Brewery in Gentle’s Close circa 1820 which extended to around Cooper’s Close and Wilson’s Close. Wilson’s Close was named after a William Wilson who owned land in 1778 His three sons all emigrated to the West Indies as did one of his daughters who married a John Hamilton of Tobago. Philip the eldest son also of Tobago inherited the land in 1782 and later sold it to to Alexander Gordon in 1796.