West Port Edinburgh
West Port named after the Gate in the Flodden Wall that stood across the road that wa access to the Grassmarket. The road and area outside the wall was known as west port suburbs. In this area was the abode of the murderers Burke and Hare in Tanner’s Close between Kings Stables Road and West Port the reason the were named the West Port Murders.
The term Cordiner comes from the French for shoemaker, ‘cordonnier’ This Building (land) was where there were many Shoemakers. The three separate buildings of Cordiner’s Land have many original features take a walk in and see the conditions of where people lived and worked. The stone tablet above the entrance is the emblem for the ancient Cordiner’s Guild. Look up above no 64 and 66 and a further inscription on a carved tablet reads; LOVE GOD ABOVE | ALL | AND YOUR NEIGHBOUR | AS YOURSELF.
Cordiner’s Land Plaque
The inscription on the plaque reads; Behold how good a thing it is | And how becoming well | Together such as brethren are | in unity to dwell | AD 1696
Inscription on a carved tablet above 64-66 West Port reads; LOVE GOD ABOVE | ALL | AND YOUR NEIGHBOUR | AS YOURSELF.
The Salvation Army Womens Hostel West Port Gate Edinburgh
The Salvation Army Womens Hostel stands beside the Venel and the site of the West Port Gate at the west end of the Grassmarket. The area going up the hill was known as Portsburgh which evidence still remains with street signs.
Inscriptions on the 4 stones read;
top left This stone was laid for | “the glory of god” | by Mrs Deamwell Booth | of the Salvation Army | February 6th 1911
bottom left This stone was laid for | “the glory of god” | by Right Hon. William s Brown | The Lord Provost | February 6th 1911
top right This stone was laid for | “the glory of god” | by Rev’d A Wallace Williamson DD | St Giles Cathedral | February 6th 1911
bottom right This stone was laid for | “the glory of god” | by Reverend Alexander Whyte DD | St Georges U.F.C. and Principal of | New College | February 6th 1911.