Waterloo Place Edinburgh
Waterloo Place is a continuation of Princes Street at the east end. The road continues on to Regent Road where there are magnificent views of Arthur Seat and Edinburgh City. The old High School and Robert Burns Memorial. Waterloo Place Has the Old Calton Graveyard and the Regent Bridge which allowed access to Princes Street and the New Town without going through Leith from the East.
Regent Bridge Edinburgh
Robert Stevenson grandfather of Robert Louis Stevenson served for nearly fifty years as an engineer for the Northern Lighthouse Board retiring in 1842. He designed and oversaw the construction of at least 18 lighthouses with individual signatures allowing them to be identified by seafarers. For his last innovation he was awarded a gold medal by King William I of the Netherlands. Stevenson designed and oversaw the construction of the Regent Bridge. The Regent Bridge allowed traffic to bypass Leith and give a direct route to Princess Street and the New Town. The Regent Bridge was finished in 1819. The Regent Bridge is a major example of Greek revival architectural work of the time. The Regent Bridge arch is semi-circular and fifty feet wide. The north front of the Regent Bridge it is forty-five feet in height, and at the south front sixty-four feet two inches, the difference being the ground declining to the south. The roadway is formed by a number of reverse arches on each side. The great arch is ornamented on the south and north by two open arches, supported by elegant Corinthian columns. The street which was joined by the Regent Bridge was called Waterloo Place, as it was laid in the year 1815 when the Battle of Waterloo was fought. The Regent Bridge was officially opened on 18 August 1819 during the visit of the Prince, Leopold of Saxe Coburg to Edinburgh. Stevenson College, Edinburgh was named after Robert Stevenson. Robert Stevenson lived at 1 Baxter’s Place in Edinburgh a building that is now called Robert Stevenson House in his memory. Stevenson died on 12 July 1850 in Edinburgh. The Marriott Group now occupy the buildings.
THE REGENT BRIDGE | COMMENCED IN THE EVER MEMORABLE YEAR | 1815 | SIR JOHN MARJORIBANKS OF LEES BARONET M.R. | LORD PROVOST OF THE CITY | ARCHIBALD ELLIOT ARCHITECT
OPENED AUGUST 18TH 1819 THE ENTRY OF | HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS PRINCE LEOPOLD OF SAXE COBOURG.
A case where a famous grandfather had an even more famous grandson. Robert Stevenson was a Scottish civil engineer and a specialist in lighthouse design. During his career he designed and oversaw construction of 18 lighthouses. His sons David and Thomas were also designers of Lighthouses Fidra Lighthouse and the Bass Rock Lighthouse were both designed by the Stevensons. Pentland Skerries Lighthouse. Bell Rock Lighthouse, (off of the east coast of Scotland near Dundee) Isle of May Lighthouse, (Firth of Forth Island) Lismore Lighthouse, on the islet of Eilean Musdile Corsewall Lighthouse, (Dumfries) Point of Ayre Lighthouse, (Isle of Man) Calf of Man Lighthouse, (Isle of Man) Sumburgh Head Lighthouse, (Shetland Islands) Rinns of Islay Lighthouse, (Orsay, Inner Hebrides) Buchan Ness Lighthouse, (Boddam, Peterhead) Cape Wrath Lighthouse, (Sutherland) Tarbat Ness Lighthouse, (Portmahomack, Burghead) Mull of Galloway Lighthouse, (Wigtownshire) Dunnet Head Lighthouse, (Caithness) Girdle Ness Lighthouse, (Aberdeen) Barra Head Lighthouse, (Isle Berneray Outer Hebrides).
Old Calton Burial Ground Waterloo Place Edinburgh.
The larger part of the graveyard lies to the south of Waterloo Place and includes a number of interesting memorials. An enormous obelisk by Thomas Hamilton (1784 – 1858) is of the memorial to the political martyrs of 1793, who were transported to Australia because of their incitement to rebellion. The monument to philosopher David Hume (1711-76) was built in 1777 by Robert Adam (1728-92) and the Emancipation Monument (1893), comprising a bronze of Abraham Lincoln with a grateful free slave, remembering the Scottish soldiers who fought in the American Civil War (1861-5). Other residents include painter David Allan (1744-96), Robert Burn (1752 – 1815), who built the Nelson Monument on Calton Hill and was the father of architect William Burn (1789 – 1870), publisher Archibald Constable (1774 – 1827) and sculptor Sir John Steel (1804-91).
The Governor’s House Calton Hill South Edinburgh
The Governor’s House was built in 1817 in the centre of the picture above is a castellated structure situated next to the Old Calton Graveyard on the left. The Governor’s House was in the ideal position to keep a watchful eye on the jail which was to the right of the picture. The Calton jail being just in front of the Governor’s House on Regent Road at the time the largest prison in Scotland. The site is now St Andrews House government offices. Part of the wall of the jail is still standing and can be seen far right of picture.