Vallence’s Entry Canongate Royal Mile Edinburgh
Vallence’s Entry was named after Adam Vallange who owned land here. Once named Valentine’s Entry circa 1830 Adam Vallange was a barber by trade and his land stood next to Queensberry’s Land where the Duke of Queensberry resided in a stately mansion till his death in 1695 and his family continued residence until 1803. At that time it was changed into a hospital and in 1834 it became a refuge for the poor. In 1945 it became and Old peoples home and in 1997 the Scottish government closed the home and moved the residents to enable the Scottish Parliament building to be constructed. On the Pavement of the Canongate between Vallance’s Entry and Queensberry House is the Canongate Wellhead dated 1817. This would have been where the residence of the canongate would get their drinking water. The wealthy land owners would have caddies to fetch water from the wellhead to their houses.