TRUNK’S CLOSE HIGH STREET ROYAL MILE EDINBURGH
This Close has had many names including Purvis, Stirling’s and Bryson’s Close and its name derived from the Turing’s of Foveran from Aberdeen. James Turing built a tenement in the Close. Stirling’s Close was William Stirling and Bryson’s Close was a rebuilt tenement owned by Andrew Bryson. The owners of tenements in closes usually called the close after their family name.
In Trunk’s Close is a monument to Sir Patrick Geddes and a modern art sculpture of a Cockerel with a garden named Sandeman House Garden where the Scottish Book Trust is housed. The rear of the Trinity College Apse can also be seen. The families that lived in the close previously were named Turning, Bryson, Purvis and Stirling and Hope which evidence is still visible between circa 1450 and 1750. Ashley Buildings were also in the close now demolished. On the way down Trunk’s Close from the High street on the east (right) side of the close is the main wall of Mowbray House which has been standing over 500 years.
Hope’s Court and Mowbray House Trunks’ Close High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh
GEORGE JAMESON MOWBRAY HOUSE ROYAL MILE HIGH STREET EDINBURGH
George Jameson born in Aberdeen in the late 1500s was recognised as the best portrait painter of his time from the British Isles. He lived in Mowbray House and died in 1644 in Edinburgh and is buried in Greyfriars Churchyard. His work can be seen in the National Gallery of Scotland on the Mound. The Plaque is on Mowbray House near Trunk’s Close.