Tranent East Lothian
Tranent East Lothian a small town in East Lothian and is one of the oldest towns in East Lothian. In 1722 a rail line ( Tranent to Cockenzie Waggonway) took coal from the coal pits of Tranent to the harbour at Cockenzie. It was drawn by horses on a wooden track, the first in Scotland. Once an important coal mining town mined by the monks of Newbattle in the 12th century. The town must have been settled prior to 1150 as the old parish church dates from 1145.
Massacre of Tranent Statue
The Massacre of Tranent took place in 1797, when 12 local people were killed by soldiers after group of locals were protesting against conscription into the British Army. Jackie Crookston holding the drum on the memorial to those who died. The Statue stands in Civic Square on the High Street in Tranent.
Tranent Tower was built circa 1542 on the Seton estate where the Valance family lived leasing the tower from Lord Seton before they later purchased it and where the family remained until the nineteenth century. The family grave can be sen in the old Tranent parish church burial ground.
Tranent David Seton’s Doocot, dated 1587
There is a lectern-type doocot 1587 near Tranent old parish church, which was constructed to house 1122 pairs of pigeons in nesting boxes. A do’cot was where people would get fresh meat. taking the young pigeons as they were the most tender. Inscribed above the door of the Do’cot reads; DAVID SETOUN, 1587. Cockenzie House was built for David (Setoun) Seton circa 1600. David (Setoun) Seton was known for his involvement in the trials of witches at Tranent.
Tranent Parish Church and Graveyard
A chapel is said to have been founded here by monks in the 8th century. Tranent Parish Church dates from 1145. The present church was built 1799 and opened in 1800 and was modernisation again 1954. John Caddell was blamed for his part in the Tranent Massacre (object to the conscription of Scots into the British Militia) of 1797 and is buried in Old Tranent Parish Church. The first vicar of Tranent whose name is recorded as John in 1222.
Captain William Hutchison, who was Governor of Cape Coast Castle in Africa, and died when at home on a visit in 1832 most famous slave “castles,” the Cape Coast Castle, was built in 1653 circa 10 million slaves were transported from here to the new World. Te Headstone depicts a Jacobite soldier buried here after the Battle of Prestonpans 1745.
In the civic square of Tranent next to the Massacre of Tranent memorial statue stand The towns time piece.
Tranent War Memorial
The Tranent war memorial commemorates the people of Tranent who were killed or did not return (missing) in the two World Wars.