Thistle Street Edinburgh
Thistle Street was one of the streets in the design plans of the New Town of 1759. It was to run parallel with Princes Street, George Street, and Queen street. Between George Street and Queen Street named after the Scottish emblem the Thistle of Scotland. However, the two architects that completed the New Town requested streets to be named after them and it was decided to reduce the length of Thistle Street to enable Mr Hill and Mr Young a street each. Thistle street becoming from the west end, Young Street, Hill Street, then the remainder remaining Thistle Street as it is today. The other street that also runs parallel with the three main streets is Rose Street after the Rose of England.Rose Street can be found between Princes Street and George Street. It runs from Charlotte Square to St Andrew Square. Rose street is pedestrianised and has many shops, pubs, restaurants and cafes.
The First House built can be found in thistle court on the south side of Rose Street at the east end. Thistle Court was built in 1767 and was originally called Rose Court renamed Thistle Court.