The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
Edinburgh University Bush Estate
The Royal School of Veterinary Studies was incorporated into the University of Edinburgh in 1951. The Edinburgh Veterinary College was founded by William Dick in 1823. The Edinburgh Veterinary College receive royal accent in 1906 to become the Royal (Dick) Veterinary College. In 1919 the College moved to Summerhall. In 2011 Easter Bush Campus was now ready for use by all students an the facility at Summerhall was closed. Easter Bush has been used for veterinary teaching since 1947. The latest building being opened being named after the former principal of the Royal (Dick) Veterinary College, Professor O. Charnock Bradley who was the principal at Clyde Street and oversaw the building of Summerhall on the 21st day of July 1914 the Marquis of Linlithgow laid the Memorial Stone of Summerhall and it was not until the 17th October 1925 Summerhall was completed. A new extension was completed in 1940 which Professor O. Charnock Bradley did not see as he died in 1937 a true lifes work.
The Bush Estate Professor O. Charnock Bradley Building and Kelpie sculpted by John Scott
“CANTER” by Andy Scott | unveiled by | HRH The Princess Royal | Chancellor of the University of Edinburgh and | Patron of the Royal (Dick) Vet School of Veterinary Studies | on 1st May 2018
“Canter” by Andy Scott