Teviot Place Edinburgh
Teviot Place on the south side is the oldest Medical school in the world and has been attended by many famous people. On the north side is a number of retail premises, restaurants and a public house named Doctors. Next to the medical school is McEwan Hall named after the brewer who donated the capital to have it built. It’s main purpose is as a graduation hall for the students receiving their degrees after years of study.
EDINBURGH MEDICAL SCHOOL 1726 / ANATOMICAL MUSEUM 1884 TEVIOT PLACE EDINBURGH
The Old Medical School Teviot Place Edinburgh has long been recognised as one of the leading and oldest Medical Schools in the world. The Medical School has links with 6 Nobel Prize winners. Edinburgh has had medical teaching from as far back as the early 1500s and The Royal College of Physicians was opened in 1681. The Museum of Anatomy in the Medical School in Teviot place is full of wonderful things and you can even see the murderer William Burke’s skeleton free of charge when open to the public (see www.anatomy.mvm.ed.ec.uk/museum for times).
Surgery Anatomy Practice of Physic
Elsie Inglis Quadrangle Medical School Edinburgh
Edinburgh University Medical School Elsie Inglis Quadrangle where all the plaques on this page can be found as well as the Anatomy Surgery and Museum.
JAMES LIND MD F.R.C.PE / F.R.S.E
“The Hippocrates of Naval Medicine” James Lind born in Edinburgh in 1716 became a surgeon’s mate and carried out experiments on sailors with scurvy and proved that citrus was a cure, however, the navy did not implement his findings for a further 40 years and when they did scurvy was eradicated from the navy. He retired from the Navy in 1748 at the age of 32 and enrolled in the University of Edinburgh for medical qualifications
Inscription on plaque reads:
The province has been mine to deliver precepts | the power is in others to execute | 1716 | 1794 | James Lind | MD. (Edin) r.c.p.e. f.r.s.e. |”the hippocrates of naval medicine” | author of | a treatise of the scurvy | an essay on preserving the | health of seamen| an essay on diseases incidental | to europeans in hot climates | these works led to the conquest | of scurvy the development of | modern naval hygiene and the / growth of tropical medicine / this plaque is presented in honour of | the first experimental nutritionist. |a great physician and scientist | by | the sunkist growers of citrus fruit | in California and Arizona | 22nd May 1953
Medical School Edinburgh Students
During the 50 years between 1749 and 1799 117 Americans received medical degrees from the University of Edinburgh Medical School. Included in the degree recipients were; John Morgan who founded the first North American Medical School. The Medical School of the college of Philadelphia. 2 further degree recipients were Benjamin Rush and Dr. John Witherspoon both were signatories of the declaration of Independence.
The Polish School of Medicine (The University of Edinburgh)
The Polish School of Medicine was founded on 24 February 1941 In an agreement between the University of Edinburgh and the Polish Government-in-Exile in London. At this time it was the only Polish higher educational institution in the world. here were more than 300 Polish students attended the school, 227 achieved a medical diploma and a further 19 graduated with an MD.
The Inscription on the plaque reads;
In the dark days of 1941 when Polish universities were destroyed and Polish professors died in concentration camps, the University of Edinburgh established the Polish School of Medicine. This memorial was set up by the students, lecturers and professors of the Polish School of Medicine in gratitude to the University of Edinburgh for the part it played in the preservation of Polish science and learning.
JAKO WYRAZ WDZIECZNOŚCI UNIWERSYTETU EDINBURSKEIGO ZA UTWORZENIE POLSKIEJ PLACÓWKI NAUKOWEJ W EDYNBURGU PŁYTĘ TĘ OFIAROWALI STUDENCI WYKŁADOWCY I PROFESOROWIE POLSKIEGO WYDZIAŁU LEKARSKIEGO 1941 – 1949.
Three Edinburgh University Medical School Graduates of Note
Richard Bright, Thomas Addison, Thomas Hodgkin each individual gave the first complete and accurate description of the medical condition which were named after them; Bright’s Disease (Acute post-streptococeal hemorrhagic glomerulonephritis described in 1836), Addison’s Disease (Adrenocortical insufficiency described in 1849), Addisonian Anaemia (Pernicious Anaemia Vitamin B12 deficiency described in 1849), Hodgkin’s Disease ( Lymphadenoma Hodgkin Lymphoma described in 1836).
This tablet has been erected by McGill University to commemorate the 250th anniversary of The University of Edinburgh faculty as a symbol of the historic bond between them and in memory of the four founders of the faculty of medicine of McGill University, William Caldwell, Andrew R Holmes, William Robertson, John Stephenson all whom received their training at The University of Edinburgh
Professor John Hughes Bennett
Professor John Hughes Bennett MD Edin. Hon LLD Edin. FRCP Edin. FRSE 1812 – 1875. Professor of the institutes of medicine, University of Edinburgh. An outstanding physician, physiologist, pathologist and great teacher who in 1845 was the first to identify the disease leukaemia.
Sir Robert Sibbald, Sir James Young Simpson, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Lord Henry Lister all graduated from the University of Edinburgh. Sir Robert Sibbald Professor of Medicine 1685 -1722 was founder of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh. Sir James Young Simpson was a pioneer of anaesthetics, Professor of Midwifery 1810 -1870. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a medical graduate of the university author and creator of Sherlock Holmes, Lord Henry Lister was a founder of antiseptic and aseptic surgery regius professor of clinical surgery 1869 – 1877. All the plaques can be found in The Elsie Inglis Quadrangle of the Medical School in Teviot Place Edinburgh.
For more plaques honouring Edinburgh University attendees go to Plaques in Edinburgh link below.