Sugarhouse Close Canongate Royal Mile Edinburgh
Sugarhouse Close with the archway to the sugar refinery to allow carts to carry the loads of sugar. The sugar refinery started circa 1750 and continued for over 100 years. In 1858 it became the site of the Holyrood brewery owned by William Younger & Co (William Younger and Co merged with William McEwan to become Scottish Brewers in 1931) the Holyrood Brewery closed in 1986 and the land was sold in 1990. Holyrood Brewery stretched from Gentle’s Close further down the Canongate to Sugarhouse Close).