Stockbridge Edinburgh name derives from wooden foot bridge. Stockbridge was deemed the northern extension of Edinburgh’s new town. The area was largely in part designed by Sir Henry Raeburn artist who was born in the area and also died at his house in Carlton Street in 1823. There were many notable people that lived in the area. James Young Simpson being the most eminent lived with his brother David who was a master baker at No.1 Raeburn place on the corner of Dean Street and opened his first practice at 2 Deanhaugh Street. Christopher North lived in 29 Anne Street before moving to No. 6 Gloucester Place. There were street name changes from when first erected Veitch’s Square named after the baker there was Virgin’s Square, India Place was Athole Street, Upper Dean Terrace was Mineral Street, North West Circus Place was Stockbridge Brae. The bridge was erected in 1786 and widened in 1900.1
Stockbridge Sunday Market
While in Edinburgh visit the Stockbridge Sunday Market 200 yards from St Bernard’s Well and next to the Water of Leith. Stockbridge has many shops, bars and restaurants and is close to the city centre. Yo can see the entrance to h original Stockbridge Market in St Stephen Street.
St Bernard’s Well
A natural mineral spring was discovered on the Water of Leith near to Stockbridge in 1760, some claimed that the water could cure everything. In 1789 a building was erected over the well by Lord Gardenstone who claims he discovered the fine qualities of the mineral waters. The erection of a Doric Temple with a dome and statue inside of Hygeia the Greek goddess of health. It was called St Bernard’s Well. Upper Dean Terrace where the wells can be seen was originally named Mineral Street. The Doric Temple was designed on Sybils’ Temple at Tivoli.
William Nelson Memorial
William Nelson was a publisher in Edinburgh and took it upon himself to renovate the St Bernards Well as it had become in a state of disrepair. He used his own funds to renovate and improve its aesthetic look.
St George’s Well
There was another well which can be found a short distance west and this was called St George’s Well discovered in 1810 by a Mr MacDonald of Stockbridge. This was also to have the same powers as St Bernard’s Well but was never used to the extent St Bernard’s Well was.
The Water of Leith and the source of the mineral water for St Bernard’s Well and St George’s Well
Water of Leith Walkway from Saunders Street at The Dene Archway to St Bernard’s Well This was the way people would make their way to health and fitness by drinking from the St Bernard’s Well.
John Wilson A.K.A Christopher North
John Wilson a writer, author, advocate and Professor of moral philosophy at the University of Edinburgh. He was most frequently identified by his pseudonym Christopher North. His family home was 29 Ann Street before having to move and live at his mother’s house No 6 Gloucester Place with his family due to almost bankruptcy caused by his uncle’s dishonest speculation with his money. Through hard work he recovered to move his family to their new home in Ann Street where he remained until his death in 1854. His statue stands in East Princes Street Gardens between the mound precinct and the Walter Scott monument.
Thomas Carlyle started life as a teacher, but did not last as he gave this up to study law then he went into the ministry and finally became a writer. He married Jane Welsh of Haddington they stayed in a house in Comely Bank for a short time before moving to a farmhouse in the Scottish Borders. Thomas Carlyle became a published author of a number of books and was ask to become the rector of Edinburgh University in 1866 which he accepted. He is best remembered as a essayist and Scottish Historian.
Robert Chalmers at an early age started a business selling old books his brother started a printers and after a while they started a new business together Robert Chambers the writer and William Chambers the printer. There first venture was a periodical The Kaleidoscope a magazine published every two weeks. Robert interested in history published a number of books Traditions of Edinburgh, Walks in Edinburgh, the Life of Walter Scott, and many more on Scottish History.
Sir Henry Littlejohn Forensic Scientist
Sir Henry Littlejohn was co-founder of the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh. He was Known as a forensic expert and was friends with Dr Bell and Henry Littlejohn taught Arthur Conan Doyle forensic medicine when he studied at the University of Edinburgh medical school. He was also one of the first people in the world to be appointed as the Police Surgeon for a city. He lived at Circus Place Edinburgh and a plaque is at the door in his honour.
David Robert’s Birthplace Duncansland Stockbridge
Duncansland a house built from rubble from the houses knocked down in development of Edinburgh. This is where David Roberts was born on 24th October 1796 son of John Roberts who was shoemaker to trade. David Roberts started his career as a designer and painter and became a stage designer for a circus. His talents grew and he became a very successful stage designer and artist while in his free time he painted with oils and became a renowned artist of buildings and scenery which became a full time vocation by 1830. He traveled the world painting and traveled to Egypt and Syria which was the first time many had seen such scenery and Queen Victoria was so taken with his work purchased the collection.
Inscription on plaques on Duncansland Stockbridge;
David Roberts R.A. Landscape Painter was born here on 24th October 1796 | I FEAR GOD ONLYE 1605
James Young Simpson and Sir Henry Raeburn were also residents of Stockbridge.
James Young Simpson
James Young Simpson discovered the aesthetic qualities of Chloroform and first lived with his brother above the bakers his brother owned at 1 Raeburn Place Edinburgh and his first medical practice was established close by at 2 Deanhaugh Street Stockbridge Edinburgh.
Sir Henry Raeburn
Sir Henry Raeburn was a portrait painter and painted many famous people. e was revered by all and became the president of the Society of Artists in Edinburgh in 1812 and a member of the Royal Scottish Academy. Henry Raeburn was knighted by George IV in 1822. He was born in Stockbridge Edinburgh and spent his life there before his death in St Bernard’s Crescent Stockbridge Edinburgh. Raeburn Place the main thoroughfare of Stockbridge is named after him. His Art Studio was in York Place named Raeburn House with an Artists pallet on the wall of the building.
Horse Rider Eagle Silvermills Stockbridge Edinburgh
The Horse Rider and Eagle bronze was sculpted by Eoghan Bridge who was born in Edinburgh in 1963. The sculptor was completed in 1997 and can be found at the corner of a new housing development in Silvermills, Stockbridge. There is also a further statue on the bridge at Festival Square Lothian Road. The Silvermills area was once a small hamlet where there were a number of mills that processed silver. The silver coming from the mines at Hilderslane Linlithgow.
Edinburgh Academy Stockbridge Edinburgh
The Edinburgh Academy opened its doors to pupils on 1st October 1824. Robert Louis Stevenson and James Clark Maxwell were two former students. Sir Walter Scott, Lord Cockburn and Sir Robert Dundas were just a few that instituted the Academy in 1832.
Fettes College | Sir William Fettes
Sir William Fettes was born on 25 June 1750. When he was eighteen he went into business as a grocer, trading in wine and tea from Smith’s Land at Bailie Fyfe’s Close in the High Street Edinburgh. He retired from trading Tea and Wine in 1800 to concentrate on his many other investments. He was also twice Lord Provost of Edinburgh. William Fettes lived at 13 Charlotte Square up to 1810 when he purchased the estate of Comely Bank not far from the school’s present location. In his will he made a bequest which was to lead to the foundation of Fettes College. The school itself opened in 1870, 34 years after Sir William’s death and is now one of the top private schools in Edinburgh. There have been many famous students attend Fettes College none more famous than British Prime Minister Tony Blair.
Inverleith Public Park The park with its football, rugby and 5 seven-a-side pitches, a cricket square, petanque area, model boating pond and a children’s play area, a pond and the Sundial Garden with ornamental Sundial and a memorial fountain dated 1899 erected in memory of John Charles Dunlop, councillor for the St Bernard’s Ward.
Kinloch Anderson Sundial Inverleith Park
Inscriptions : On base of Sundial PRESENTED BY | COUNCILLOR KINLOCH ANDERSON | 1890
On south face of dial: SO PASSES LIFE | ALAS! HOW SWIFT
On north face NUMBER NONE BUT SUNNY HOURS
Inverleith Park Pond
The Pond in Inverleith Park was originally for model yachts and ice skating in the winter. Inverleith Pond opened in May 1891 and is still used today for model boats, however the weather does not allow ice skating.
Trivia Stockbridge Edinburgh
Sir Ernest Shackleton Antarctic explorer lived at 14 South Learmonth Gardens from 1904 -1910. There are also great views of Fettes College in this area. Where ex – Prime Minister Tony Blair went to school.