Stirling Castle Scotland
Stirling Castle Scotland as Edinburgh Castle Scotland stands on a Volcanic Rock that overlooks the city. This castle was where the Stuarts preferred to live. James II was here from childhood and was the place of a horrific murder in 1452 when James II stabbed the eighth Earl of Douglas to death for plotting against him. Mary Queen of Scots spent her first years as a child in the castle before going to France. Her coronation also was performed Stirling Castle’s Chapel Royal in 1543.
Robert the Bruce Statue
Robert I of Scotland who led the successful Battle at Bannockburn against the English, which was to give Scotland independence in 1314. Subject of the fill the ‘Outlaw King’ in 2018.
Argyle and Southern Highlanders Memorial Statue Stirling
Find out the History of the Argyle and Southern Highlanders and when visiting Edinburgh Castle see the Memorial Fountain on the Castle Esplanade ramparts. Regimental history of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Museum Tells the story of the 91st Argyllshire Highlanders and the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders up to their amalgamation in 1881 when they became the 1st and 2nd Battalions of The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Regiment and the history there after
Stirling Castle Drawbridge
Stirling Castle Forework Gate House
Stirling Castle Queen Anne Garden
Stirling Castle Fort Major’s House
Stirling Castle Elphinstone Tower
Stirling Castle Grand Battery
The Grand Battery was built in 1698, but was only used once against the Jacobites and Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1746.
Stirling Bridge and Wallace Monument
The view below is the way the Grand Battery faced protecting the Castle entrance and Old Stirling Bridge where William Wallace defeated the English in 1297.
Stirling Castle French Spur
King Henry II of France the father-in-law of Mary Queen of Scots help keep the English out of Scotland. The French occupied Stirling and built the Spur known as the French Spur circa 1554. The gun fortification with 11 guns protected the entrance to the Castle and the Old Stirling Bridge over the Forth.
Stirling Castle Guard House
The Main Guard House at the entrance to Stirling Castle was built in 1790 and was used to keep order in the Castle Garrison.
The second Guard House was to watch over the powder magazines, circa 1850 this was converted into cells to maintain order within the Garrison.
Stirling Castle Great Hall
The Great Hall was a banqueting hall built for James IV in 1503 and is the largest of its kind built in Scotland. Used for ceremonies and pageants and once for a meeting of Parliament. Once the royals moved to London it fell out of use. The Great Hall was renovated and brought back to its original glory and opened in 1999 by Queen Elizabeth II taking over 20 years to recreate.
Stirling Castle James V Palace
Palace at Stirling Castle.was built to accommodate the new Queen in the style of the French as she was accustomed. The project took several years with building starting in 1538 on his return with his new wife Marie de Guise. Mary saw the completion of the Palace as James died in 1542 without seeing the completion. There were 6 rooms three for the King and three for the Queen The Bedchamber where they each slept. The inner chamber where each could give audience to a closer circle of friends with the outer hall being used for functions and less personal meetings. Mary of Guise became Regent of Scotland on the death of her husband James V taking care of the crown for her daughter who was Mary Queen of Scots.
Stirling Castle Prince’s Walk
The Prince’s Walk can be seen from Queen Anne Garden. The decoration on the outside of the palace walls would frighten most people away.
Stirling Castle Queen’s Chambers
Stirling Castle Queen’s Dressing Table
Stirling Castle Queen’s Bed
The Queens Bedchamber decorated in the opulent style of circa 1550. The grand tapestries and large fireplaces, bedding of silk with rich colours.
Stirling Castle Queen’s Linen Cupboard
Stirling Castle Queen’s Inner Hall
Stirling Castle Queen’s Outer Hall
Stirling Castle King’s Chambers
Kings Bedchamber Ceiling Plaques
Stirling Castle Kings Inner Hall
The King’s Presence Chamber (Inner Hall) was where the original Stirling Heads (wooden carved heads) decorated the ceiling. Taken down circa 1775 the ceiling had circa 100 carved oak heads some are on display in a gallery above the Royal Apartments. There are replica hand carved heads on the ceiling of the Presence (Inner) Chamber.
Stirling Castle Kings Inner Hall Ceiling Plaques
Stirling Castle Kings Outer Hall
Stirling Castle Kings Original Ceiling Plaques
Stirling Castle Nether Bailey
Stirling Castle Lady’s Lookout
Stirling Castle Lion’s Den
Stirling Castle North Gate
Stirling Castle Old Chapel
Stirling Castle Powder Magazine
Stirling Castle Postern Gate
Stirling Castle Three Gun Battery
Stirling Castle Vaults
Stirling Castle Great Kitchens
Stirling Castle Water Well
Stirling Castle King’s Knot and Queen’s Knot
Argyll’s Lodging Stirling
Argyll’s Lodging named by the owner Archibald Campbell 9th Earl of Argyll. Built circa 1630 with further extensions circa 1670 is regarded as the most important town house of its period in Scotland that has survived. It is possible a house was on this site in the 16th century and replaced by the present building. n 1666 the site was purchased by Archibald, 9th Earl of Argyll. It was sold by the John Campbell 4th Duke of Argyll in 1764, and is now owned by the Crown. Duke of Argyll also holds the hereditary titles of chief of Clan Campbell and Master of the Household of Scotland.