South Bridge Royal Mile Edinburgh
The foundation stone of the South Bridge was laid 1 August 1785 by Lord Haddo who was the Grand Master Mason of Scotland The South Bridge opened in 1788 to pedestrians and traffic to give direct access to the south of Edinburgh. To make way for the South Bridge many houses and closes were demolished. The Tower at Portobello which still stands was built in 1785 by Mr James Cunningham from stones window sills and lintels from properties that were knocked down to allow the South Bridge to be built. The South Bridge is visible from the Cowgate where it passes over the street.
Crossroads of NorthBridge South Bridge and Royal Mile | South Bridge from Cowgate | South Bridge from Crossroads at Royal Mile