Selkirk Scottish Borders
Selkirk Mercat Cross
Selkirk Mercat Cross Memorial Plaque
Sir Walter Scott Statue Selkirk
Selkirk Court Room
Known as Sir Walter Scott Court Room
This is the courthouse that Sir Walter Scott work in when Sheriff of Selkirk for 33 years. The present court house and spire were completed by 1805 to replace the old Tolbooth which was built circa 1510. The Tolbooth was an administrative centre and jail.
Halliwell’s House Museum
Halliwell’s House is the oldest building in Selkirk and is used as a museum.
Mungo Park Memorial Statue
Mungo Park on Horseback in Africa
Mungo Park being Cared for by African Villagers
Mungo Park Plaque reads; Mungo Park born at Foulshiels Selkirkshire 10th September 1771 Killed at Boussa on The Niger Africa 1805
The inscription of the Mungo Park plaque reads;
This inscription is to commemorate the death of Mungo Park’s companions during his second expedition. Alexander Anderson, M.D. Selkirk died at Sansanding on the Niger 28th October 1805.and George Scott, Singlie, Selkirk died august 1805. Also of Thomas Park, son of Mungo Park died in Aquambo W. Africa in 1827 while endeavouring to obtain trace of his distinguished father.
One of Four African Figures on the Mungo Park Memorial
Flodden Field Memorial Selkirk
The Fletcher Monument
The Fletcher Monument portrays a soldier named Fletcher carrying the Macclesfield Banner which he captured from the English at Flodden Field. The Statue erected in 1913, 400 years after the battle is to commemorate the fallen and only survivor of 80 Selkirk men who returned from the Battle of Flodden. Behind the Statue is the Victoria Halls which were built in 1895.
Hungarian Patriot Selkirk
Loch Carron Visitor Centre
The Three Brethren
The Three Brethren on top of the hill that marks the boundaries of three Estates the Cairns have stood here for over 400 years, built in the 16th century by the lairds of Yair, Philiphaugh and Selkirk.