Lochend | Restalrig Edinburgh
In 1128 the De Lestalric’s were owners of the lands we know from Leith to Portobello as Restalrig. They Built a castle above and at the end of the Loch which gave security from all approaching invaders. The De Lestalric family occupied the castle for circa 200 years and on the death of Sir John circa 1380. Sir Robert Logan married Katherine De Lestalric. Robert died in 1439 and was buried at Restalrig church. The Loch that gives its name to the area Lochend. The Loch from 1754 was the main source of water for the residents of Leith which was put through the pump house before going through pipes. The Do’cot was a larder for the castle that gave fresh meat (pigeon). Do’cots could be seen near many large houses and castles of the wealthy.
Saint Triduana was born in the Greece and was believed to have journeyed with Rule a holy man from the area of Patras in Greece in the 4th century AD. Rule deciding to stop the Romans from seizing the bones of Saint Andrew and took as many bones as he could and travelled as far from Greece as possible ending his journey in Scotland. Triduana settled in Scotland and due to her great beauty attracted the attentions of many men. One in particular was Nectan King of the Picts. Triduana to stop the King’s attention she is said to have torn out her own eyes and gave them to the King. As Saint Triduana aged she settled in an area outside an area known as Eidyn later to be known as Edinburgh. Many people made pilgrimages to see her as she was believed to have the power to make the blind see. On her death in Restalrig a shrine was built in her honor and was intact until the reformation in the 1500. There are many stories of the blind praying to Saint Triduana and regaining their sight. St Margaret’s well previously known as St Triduana’s Well before the well was moved to its present position.
St Margaret’s Church St Triduana’s Shrine St Triduana Statue
Deanery Walls Restalrig
The Deanery Walls of Restalrig stand across from the church where St Triduana was said to cure the blind and a shrine is next to the church. The Deanery wall may have been a protection to the house that many took refuge in. James III in 1487 had the church restore and it was completed by James V as the collegiate church of the Deanery of Restalrig. The Wall that remains could be a small part of a large wall that encircled the church and house of the Dean of Lestalric which was the land owners of the area.
Edinburgh Police Box
The Police Box was basically a small Police Station for the Police Officers that were on the beat (walking the area they Police In the Police Box was a telephone connected to the local station, an incident book to keep note of any suspicious activities in the area, a fire extinguisher and first-aid kit in case of emergencies. The Police officers could take meal breaks and a toilet was also in the box. It was also used to keep prisoners until a vehicle arrived to take the prisoner to the main Police Station. Each Police Box had an outside telephone that was available to the public and was connected to the Local Police Station. They were painted blue and first used circa 1890 but were in common use by the 1930s. Edinburgh designed their own boxes to fit the architecture of the city. The Boxes were designed by architects, MacRae, Rollo and Tweedie. The box pictured is one of the last remaining still in its original colours as when the boxes were sold the new owners had to repaint the boxes a different colour. The Police Boxes are no longer used by the police.
Hibernian Football Stadium
Hibernian was founded by Irish football enthusiasts in 1875 and the name came from the Roman for Ireland (Hibernian). The East Meadows hosted the first Edinburgh Derby with Heart of Midlothian on Christmas day 1875. The present home of Hibernian opened in 1893. In 1955 Hibernian were the first British side to play in European competition. Hibernian won the Scottish Cup in 1902 and 2015. The Celtic football Club was also formed as a west of Scotland Hibernian but the name was changed as to stop any confusion when playing against each other.
JAMES TYTLER. 1745 – 1804 James Tytler was the first to pilot a hot air balloon in Britain 27 August 1874. After a number of attempts, he finally floated almost 1/2 a mile which has confirmed his place in the history of flight. The journey began at an area close to the foot of Arthur Seat. There are streets now named after him. The world’s first man balloon flight was the Montgolfier brothers in France in 1783.