Regent Road Edinburgh

Regent Road | Old Calton Jail | St Andrew’s House

Regent Road starts at the Old Calton Jail opened in 1817 and was demolished in 1930. Remains of the jail that can still be seen are the door to the death cell, which can be found in the Beehive Inn in the Grassmarket and part of the perimeter wall which is still visible. The best view of the wall is from Jeffrey Street Edinburgh just of the Royal Mile. The Building that is now on the site is St Andrew’s House (The Scottish Office) Government Building.  

 St Andrew's House Edinburgh  St Andrews House and the Old Jail Wall

St Andrew’s House Regent Road Edinburgh

The Scottish Office was opened in 1939, however the Royal opening of the building was delayed due to the start of World War II. The ceremony took place in 1940.  The carved tablet above the doors of St Andrew’s House, A shield between unicorn on left and lion rampant on right. Unicorn holds a staff with the Scottish saltire flag and the lion holds a staff with English St George’s Cross. The Pillars that stand at each side of the entrance have a band carved with , Thistles of Scotland, Shamrocks of Ireland and Roses of England each of the nations emblems.

    Carved Tablet above front door of St Andrews House Regent Road 

The statues that stand high across the outside of the front building donate six industries that the Government departments look after; Agriculture, Fisheries, Education, Architecture, Health and Craft. 

 St Andrew House Statue Fisheries    St Andrew House Statue Health    St Andrew House Statue Architecture

 St Andrew House Statue State Craft     St Andrew House Statue Education    St Andrew House Statue Agriculture

Old Royal High School Building Regent Road Edinburgh

The Royal High School Building the site of the temporary Parliament building while the present Parliament building was under construction. The original site of the school was at Holyrood Abbey in 1128 and is said to have been the oldest school in the world. It then moved to the Blackfriars Monastery in 1578 which was at the foot of Infirmary Street, also known as High School Yards and then to Regent Road in 1829. The Royal High School is now in modern grounds in the west of Edinburgh near Cramond. The High School and the University of Edinburgh were the main places of learning and were known worldwide. The building is about to become a concert hall and Music School (Aug 2016).


 Robert Burns Memorial Regent Road Edinburgh

Robert Burns was born on Monday 25 January 1759 and died on Thursday 21st July 1796. The Robert Burns Memorial can be found opposite the Royal High School in Regent Road. Robert Burns died at the age of 37 and is the nation’s most famous poet. He was inspired by Robert Fergusson, at the time the royal poet. Fergusson’s statue stands outside the Canongate Kirk gates. Burn’s Memorial was built in 1831 and erected in 1839 to house a marble statue of Robert Burns. The statue is now in the National Portrait Gallery in Queen Street. 

 Robert Burns Memorial Regent Road Edinburgh

 Jacob’s Ladder Regent Road – Calton Road Edinburgh

Jacob’s Ladder is a short cut between the Royal Mile and Calton Hill. Jacob’s Ladder is a staircase and path that leads from Calton Road at the foot of New Street up the hill to Regent Road, a direct route from the Canongate to Calton Hill. The steps are next to Burns memorial and there are further steps to the top of Calton hill on the far side of Regent Road Edinburgh.  Jacob’s Ladder is the colloquial name for a connection between the earth and heaven in this case between the back of the Canongate (Hell) and Calton Hill (Heaven).

Jacob's Ladder Regent Road Edinburgh

New Calton Burial Ground

New Calton Burial Ground was opened opened in 1820 due to the Old Calton Burial Ground in Waterloo Place being full. The New Calton burial ground has a watch tower at its highest point to protect the graves from grave robbers as it was a practice among a number of unsavoury characters to dig up the bodies and sell them to the medical school. There are a few notable graves one of which is the engineer Robert Stevenson grandfather of Robert Louis Stevenson and builder of the lighthouses around Britain. Also the Regent Bridge in Waterloo Place, which gave access to Princes Street and the new town.  Access to the new calton burial ground is from Regent Road and Calton Road near Holyrood House. There is also the last remaining original gas Light in the burial ground

  New Calton Burial Ground Watch Tower.   Last Gas Light in New Calton Burial Ground 

  Robert Stevenson's family vault New Calton Burial Ground  Robert Stevenson's Grave Stone  Robert Stevenson's family vault New Calton Burial Ground


 The Stones of Scotland see more on the link below

 "The Stones of Scotland Stones from Scotland

Link to Scotland’s Stones

Link to St Andrew’s Square

Link to new Town Map

Link to All About Edinburgh