Ravelston Area Edinburgh
Ravelston Area Edinburgh was outside Edinburgh and had limited access due to the water of Leith and they valley made by the water. There was a quick groth of wealthy merchants that built houses when the Belford Bridge opened giving easy access to the Edinburgh’s New Town.
Scottish Gallery of Modern Art One Ravelston Area Edinburgh
Ravelston Area Edinburgh, The building was originally the home of John Watson’s Hospital (school) built in 1828 by William Burn with funds left by John Watson an Edinburgh solicitor on his death in 1762 and closed in 1975 due to lack of funding. The gallery opened at its present address in 1984. Set in large grounds it features a stepped S-shaped landform by Charles Jenks which provides the setting for a range of sculptures. The Gallery collection has approximately 5000 pieces ranging from prints and paintings to contemporary video installations are all house in the gallery. There is also a café for refreshments.
The Plaque at the door to the Gallery of Modern Art reads;
John Watson’s school 1828 – 1975 | This building originally John Watson’s Institute | was designed by William Burn in 1825, opening in 1828 under the aegis of the society of H M Writers | to the signet, its original purpose to house | maintain and educate destitute children, the | institution became John Watson’s school in 1934 | enrolling fee paying pupils while maintaining its | original purpose and by 1957 the school offered continuous education to all pupils from 5-18 years. | In 1975 despite its growing reputation John Watson’s school unexpectedly closed after the withdrawal | of its grant. The building reopened as the Scottish |National Gallery of Modern Art in 1984.
Dean Gallery | Modern Art Gallery Two
The Dean Gallery building was designed in 1833 by Thomas Hamilton and was originally an orphanage. The clock is said to be that of the Nether Bow Port that once stood as the gates to Edinburgh in the High Street. The Gallery opened in 1999 and is home for the Eduardo Paolozzi collection. In the grounds are sculpture and graphic art, It contains a large collection of Dada and Surrealist art and literature and also holds temporary exhibitions. There is a café for refreshments.
Daniel Stewarts School
The Hospital (school) opened as Daniel Stewart’s Hospital for orphan and destitute boys with money left by Daniel Stewart in 1814 giving preference to families with the name Stewart. He entrusts its management to the Merchant Company of the City of Edinburgh. Daniel Stewart’s Hospital Edinburgh opened in 1855. Melville College was a former school, Edinburgh Institution for Mathematics and Language, which opened in 1832 and renamed in 1936. Daniel Stewart’s College and Melville College were joined in 1972 and became, Daniel Stewart’s and Melville College.The School is now after amalgamation of three schools Mary Erskine School, Daniel Stewart’s College and Melville College, in 1974 created the largest independent family of schools in Europe.
Mary Erskine School for Girls
Mary Erskine donated a sum of money from her husband’s estate to the Company of Merchants of Edinburgh, to have a school built to educate the poor children of Edinburgh Merchant families. The School (Hospital as they were called) named Merchant Maiden Hospital first opened in the Cowgate in the Merchants Hall which was situated where the arch of the George IV Bridge now stands in 1694. It then moved to new premises on the corner of Bristo Street (now Bristo Place) and Lothian Street in 1706. As it grew it moved again to new premises in 1818 at the Lauriston area at the foot of Archibald Place. In 1870 moving once more to larger premises in Queen Street, in the New town and changing its name to Edinburgh Educational Institution for Young Ladies. It was renamed in 1889 to The Edinburgh Ladies’ College. In honour of Mary Erskine the school changes its name in 1944 to The Mary Erskine School and a final move to its present home at Ravelston in 1966. The building being Ravelston House which was built circa 1620.
Mary Erskine School Queen Street Edinburgh prior to moving to Ravelston House.