Queen Street Edinburgh
Queen Street Edinburgh the last street in the planned New Town Edinburgh named after Queen Charlotte wife of George III. Thing to see and do in Queen Street. Home of James Young Simpson, Royal College of Physicians and Scottish National Portrait Gallery.
JAMES YOUNG SIMPSON (7 June 1811 – 6 May 1870)
James Young Simpson discovered the unaesthetic power of chloroform and introduced anesthesia to childbirth. James Young Simpson was elected a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 1863. On 4th November, 1847 James Young Simpson first used chloroform. It was first used as an anaesthetic to help ease the pain during childbirth. Queen Victoria used chloroform during the delivery of Prince Leopold in 1853. James Young Simpson was the first man to be knighted by the Scottish Court of the Lord Lyon for services to medicine. “Victo Dolore” (pain conquered) is the inscription on James Young Simpson’s coat of arms. James Young Simpson died at his home in Edinburgh at the age of fifty-eight. A burial spot in Westminster Abbey was offered to his family, but they declined and instead buried James Young Simpson closer to home in Warriston Cemetery, Edinburgh. On the day of James Young Simpsons funeral, a Scottish holiday was declared, including the banks and stock markets, with over 100,000 citizens lining the funeral cortege on its way to the cemetery, while over 1,700 colleagues and business leaders took part in the procession itself. James Young Simpson Lived in 52 Queen Street Edinburgh for over 25 years. His Statue is in West Princes Street Gardens and the Chemist he used for the Chloroform was on the North Bridge Edinburgh
The Royal College of Physicians Queen Street Edinburgh
The Royal College of Physicians was given its Royal status in 1681 by Charles II and their first meeting hall was in Fountain Close in 1704. The present building was completed in 1844 and previous to that the first building on the same site was started in 1775. The three statues are of Hygeia (daughter of Asclepius and Goddess of good health), Asclepius (Greek God of medicine and son of Apollo), Hippocrates (ancient Greek physician). Two panels’ right and left of Hygeia show the winged lions at the lyre of Apollo.
Asclepius was a Greek god, healer and one of the Argonauts and his downfall was when he resurrected two mortals, Zeus was unhappy with his actions and slew Asclepius with a thunderbolt.
Hippocrates Lived on the island of Kos, He was a Greek physician and is believed to be one of the most important figures in the history of medicine. Known as the “Father of Western Medicine”The Hippocratic Oath that doctors take is named after him.
Hygiena Greek goddess of good health was a daughter and helper of the god of medicine Asclepius,and a friend to the goddess Aphrodite.
Asclepius Hippocrates Hygiena
WINGED LIONS AT THE LYRE OF APOLLO
Scottish National Portrait Gallery Queen Street Edinburgh
Scottish National Portrait Gallery was built in the 1890. All the portraits are from Scottish history, painted by a range of major European and American masters. The gallery also displays sculptures, miniatures and photographs. Unique visual history of Scotland told through the portraits of those who shaped it, from the 16th century to the present. They include Mary Queen of Scots, Sir Walter Scott, Robert Burns and Sean Connery. It also houses the National Photography Collection. Before entering the Gallery look at the carved statues that stand around the building all are named below.
The Plaque on the west of the entrance reads; Dedicated to the | illustration of Scottish | history. This edifice the | gift to his native country | of John Ritchie Findlay | was erected anno domini 1890 | by the honourable the board | of trustees for manufactures | R Rowan Anderson LLD architect.
To see all the statues around the building and who they are follow this link Scottish National Portrait Gallery Statues
Mary Erskine’s School
Mary Erskine donated a sum of money from her husbands estate to the Company of Merchants of Edinburgh, to have a school built to educate the poor children of Edinburgh Merchant families. The School (Hospital as they were called) named Merchant Maiden Hospital first opened in the Cowgate in 1694. It then moved to new premises on the corner of Bristo Street (now Bristo Place) and Lothian Street in 1706. As it grew it moved again to new premises in 1818 at the Lauriston area at the foot of Archibald Place. In 1870 moving once more to larger premises in the New town and changing its name to Edinburgh Educational Institution for Young Ladies. It was renamed in 1889 to The Edinburgh Ladies’ College. In honour of Mary Erskine the school changes its name in 1944 to The Mary Erskine School and a final move to its present home at Ravelston in 1966.