Potterrow was once a way into the Edinburgh boundary by the way of Potterrow Port which stood at the south west corner of the Old College (Edinburgh University). Potterrow stretched from the Bristow gate at Candlemaker Row to Chapel Street.
Robert Burns (Nancy) Agnes Maclehose (Craig)
Agnes Maclehose (CRAIG) (1759-1841) was known as Nancy. Nancy first came to Edinburgh to live in Potterrow near the corner with Marshall Street after her husband left her to make his fortune in Jamaica. Robert Burns first meet with Nancy on the 4th December 1787 at afternoon tea and the assignation started. Mishap and misfortune stopped them from meeting for some time but they wrote to each other regularly. The love affair was to last until their death but their last meeting was in December of 1791 when Nancy left for Jamaica to be with her now wealthy husband. Read the famous letters written with code names Nancy being (Clarinda), Rabbie being (Sylvander) and not to forget the love song to Nancy `Ae Fond Kiss’.
West Nicolson House | Pear Tree House
Pear Tree House previously known as West Nicolson House was built by a William Reid in 1747. The Ferguson Family purchased the house in 1756 and lived their till it was sold in 1770 to Thomas Blacklock the poet. Thomas Blacklock is buried in the graveyard across the road in the Apse Church in Chapel Street. With many literary friends of the time Robert Burns Walter Scott James Boswell and Dr Johnson al visited. Later in 1826 Andrew Usher Junior was born in the house part of the Whisky and beer dynasty. The house has remained with the same look since built.
King Fahd Mosque and Islamic Centre of Edinburgh
There is a community of over 12,000 Muslims in Edinburgh the first families arriving in the early 1950s. The Central Edinburgh Mosque has capabilities to hold over 1000 worshipers. The present Central Edinburgh Mosque is located on land that was purchased in the 1980s with a condition that the mansion house that is on the land would remain. The mansion house is still standing and is used for an exhibition and at Ramadan. The Mosque was opened in 1998 (1419) by the son of King Fahd of Saudi Arabia who donated 90% of the cost to build the Centre