Port Seton East Lothian
Seton Castle | Palace
Port Seton home to the Seton family, owners of Seton Palace for circa 500 years. (Circa 1120 – 1715) The house was damaged and burned out during the 1715 Jacobite Rising for the next 75 years it was left as a ruin and finally demolished by the owner Mr McKenzie after he purchased the lands in 1789 he demolished the remains of Seton Palace in 1790. In 1798 the lands were purchased by the Earl of Wemyss who built a Castle on the previous site of Seton Palace. Mary McMillan purchased the Castle which had fallen into a poor state in 2002. After renovation finally sold to a private owner Stephen Leach in 2007. The previous Seton Palace was a favourite of both Kings and Queens. With guest James IV visited in 1498, as well as Mary Queen of Scots in 1567 James V and his wife Mary of Guise, James VI in 1603 Charles I 1633 and Charles II in 1649.
Seton Collegiate Church
Seton Collegiate Church Port Seton is the best example of a medieval collegiate churches in Scotland. Seton Collegiate Church built circa 1240. Dedicated to St Mary & Holy Cross and was consecrated by the Bishop of St Andrews in 1242. Lady St Clair on the death of her husband had chapel built to hold a private alter and the tomb of her husband Sir John Seton. George Seton, 1st Lord Seton, in 1470 started to the process of changing the church to serve as a Collegiate Church which was completed in 1492. The 2nd Lord Seton became the first Seton to be buried in the new choir in 1508. The Church has been damaged on several occasion circa 1540, 1650, and 1688 then finally in 1715 when the Lothian Militia defaced the interior, demolished tombs, the entrance, and original nave.
Port Seton Harbour (The Seton Family Port)
The harbour port of Seton was built in 1635 and closed circa 1810. The estate was neglected for over 100 years from 1715 till 1789. The new estate owner the Earl of Wemyss contracted David and Thomas Stevenson to design and build the new harbour. The harbour was complete in 1880 and is still in use. The original harbour was used to ship coal and other goods all over Europe. The Stevenson brother s were famous engineers from Edinburgh part of the Stevenson family who built lighthouses around Britain and Thomas’s son was Robert Louis Stevenson (writer).