Parliament Square High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh
Parliament House was completed in 1639. The inauguration of the supreme court of Scotland was by King James V in 1532. On the east of Parliament Square was previously where Parliament Close (1816) once stood prior to the great fire of 1700 and where the Bank of Scotland opened and incorporated by royal charter in 1695 before burning down 5 years later. Now the square has the law courts and St Giles Cathedral east door which was the original front entrance. A carved statue high above the door to the south depicts St Andrew. To the right stands the Mercat Cross. The Statue opposite is of James Braidwood father of the Fire Service, further to the rear of St Giles is the oldest lead statue of Charles II on horseback and further round is the grave of John Knox for further information and images follow the link High Street Royal Mile.
John Knox Grave | Statue of St Andrew | The Edinburgh Mercat Cross
The Exchequer Building and Royal Plaque | The East Door to St Giles Cathedral
James Braidwood Father of Firefighters | Looking up to Parliament Square from Steil’s Close