Panmure Close Canongate Edinburgh
Panmure Close Canongate Edinburgh is where Panmure House was home to the Jacobite Earl of Panmure who had his town house in the 17 century. Later the Countess of Aberdeen occupied the house before Adam Smith lived and died here from 1772 till 1790. Adam Smith is buried in the Canongate Kirk Graveyard and his statue is in the High Street near to St Giles Cathedral. The poppies on the gates were to show that this was the access to the Lady Haig Poppy factory between 1931 – 1965. Access to Panmure house is at 115 Canongate Little Lochend Close.
Panmure House is now a visitor attraction with a refurbishment giving it the 18th century look once again. find out the history of the town house and its residents from as far back as the early 17th century.
William Cadell was born in 1668 and died in 1728. He was an Edinburgh merchant and freeman of Edinburgh. William cadell’s grandson was a founder of the Carron Company Iron Works of Falkirk. The largest iron works of its type in Europe for circa 100 years. Cadell house was restored and converted to apartments in 1954.
Cadell House and Panmure House
Two large town houses with historic owners in the 18th century