Old Stamp Office Close High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh
The Close’s in Edinburgh were named after the owners of buildings in the close at the time and thus had many names through time. Old Stamp Office Close was where the Stamp Office was for many years until it moved to Waterloo Place in 1821. It was the first place the Royal Bank of Scotland had offices when they were constituted in 1727 and remained here till 1753. It was also where Countess Eglinton and her seven beautiful daughters lived. Lady Eglinton and her daughters were the people to invite to any dance or party in the 1700s. There was also a school where the famous Flora McDonald of Skye was educated. She was famous for assisting Bonnie Prince Charlie in his escape after the battle of Culloden. The close has also been named after taverns, Ship Tavern close and Fortune’s Close. Both of these Taverns were in this close.