Playhouse Close and Old Playhouse Close Royal Mile Canongate Edinburgh
Old Playhouse Close and Playhouse Close were the entrance to the Playhouse Theatre and was named after the Playhouse Theatre where famous actors, actresses, singers and performers would ply their trade. The Theatre was open from 1747 – 1767. The tragedy DOUGLAS was first performed here in 1756 written by John Home minister and playwright. Playhouse close was previously known as Inglis Close after James Inglis who owned a tenement in the close.
On the Lintel above the door of the tenement to the east in the close the inscription reads;
AJ ( JEHOVA DEDIT | HOSPITIUM TERRIS CAELICA REGNA DABIT | ANNO ) JS