OLD ASSEMBLY CLOSE ROYAL MILE HIGH STREET EDINBURGH
Old Assembly Close Edinburgh was the first place for the high society of Edinburgh to have formal dances to met the opposite sex. The founder of the University of Edinburgh Library, Clement Little lived here as did his brother William Little who was Lord Provost of Edinburgh in 1591. Scene of the great fire of 1824. When a fire started and raged for over 3 days spreading down to the Tron and up to Parliament Square which destroyed over 400 family homes.
Old Assembly Close Dancing Assemblies were held in the hall from 1720 to 1766. (Described by Goldsmith) Residence of Clement Little Founder of The University Library. And his brother Provost William Little.