North Bank Street Edinburgh

North Bank Street Edinburgh has a junction with Bank Street, The Mound, Mound Place and Market Street. North Bank Street when built required a number of Close’s to be demolished Baxter’s Close, Upper Baxter’s Close, Lower Baxter’s Close, Jameson’s Close and Ronald’s Close were swept away to give an access road from the Lawnmarket to the Mound by way of Bank Street and North Bank Street. North Bank Street had a famous resident James Blackie.

 North Bank Street Edinburgh Foot of North Bank Street Continue on to the Mound and Princes Street turn Left to Mound Place or right to Market street and Waverley Rail Station  

JAMES STUART BLACKIE 1809 -1895 

Look up above the shops on North Bank Street to see the window with the memorial to James Blackie a University of Edinburgh Professor in Greek and German. He left 250, 19th century Greek books to the University Library which are still being used by students today. He was born in Aberdeen and studied in Germany and Italy. He was the inspiration behind the founding of the Celtic chair of the University of Edinburgh. The entrance to his house can be seen in Makars’ Court (Blackie House). 

Blackie House in Makars' Court Lawnmarket Edinburgh

High up on the building in North Bank Street Edinburgh

 Window of James Blackie North Bank Street Edinburgh   James Stuart Blackie Wall Tablet North Bank Street Edinburgh    Plaque-on-Tablet-below-window-on-James-Blackies-residence on North Bank Street

Black Watch on the Mound

The 11-foot high bronze statue of a Black Watch soldier commemorates over 200 members of the Regiment who were killed or wounded in the South African War of 1900-02. The Black Watch, the oldest Highland Regiment, was formed by General Wade in 1739 to police the Highlands at a time when many of the clans harboured pro-Jacobite sympathies.

Black Watch Memorial Statue North Bank Street Edinburgh
Black Watch Memorial Statue North Bank Street and Market Street corner  Black Watch Memorial Statue North Bank Street Edinburgh

WRITERS’ MUSEUM LADY STAIR’S PLACE MOUND ENTRANCE

is in Lady Stair’s House which was built in 1662 in Lady Stair’s Close, Lawnmarket, Royal Mile, Edinburgh, (named after Elizabeth Countess Dowager of Stair, a fashion icon of her time). Lady Stair’s House is dedicated to the lives and work of Scotland’s great literary figures. Rare collections include early editions, manuscripts, portraits, photographs and personal belongings of Robert Burns, Sir Walter Scott and Robert L Stevenson. On paving stones and steps up from the mound and down from the Lawnmarket you will find inscriptions and verses.

North Bank Street Entrance to Makars' Court and Lady Stair's House the Writers' Museum

Link to Mound Place

Link to Bank Street Edinburgh