Newtongrange Midlothian Scotland
It is known as the Newbattle viaduct or Lothian Bridge. The Lothian Bridge has 23 arches which spans the River Esk. The Lothian Bridge viaduct was built to join collieries in 1847 and carried the rail line from Edinburgh to Carlisle before closing in 1972. It is now being used for the Border railway linking Edinburgh with the Scottish Borders.
The Scottish National Coal Mining Museum
The National Coal Mining Museum opened in 1984. The Lady Victoria Colliery, was first mined in 1895. It closed it’s production in 1981. The Lady Victoria Colliery is the best preserved Victorian collier in Europe a place to see what people had to endure to bring coal to people’s homes.