Melrose | Scottish Borders | Attractions
Melrose Scottish Border town where the game of 7’s rugby was first played The Heart of King Robert the Bruce is buried and Melrose Abbey and the area is renowned for the presence of Sir Walter Scott.
The Mercat Cross in the centre of Melrose
Melrose Abbey was founded in 1136 by King David I. This was the first Cistercian monastery in Scotland. A stone plaque shows where Robert the Bruce’s heart was buried. The Melrose Abbey museum has many artifices that at have been preserved from the weather. Take a close look around the top parts of the Abbey ruins for the pig that is playing the bagpipes. Also the Heart Stone of Robert the Bruce where his Heart was buried. His grave is at Dunfermline Abbey.
Robert the Bruce Heart Stone
Robert the Bruce instructed on his death that his heart should go to Melrose. The knight took his heart to Melrose where it remains under the stone carved with a heart . His body was buried in Dunfermline with the other Kings.
Melrose Abbey Royal Connection
Pig playing Bagpipes Melrose Abbey
When walking through the ruins of the Abbey at your feet is history and on the walls are historic plaques but also above your head are also gargoyles and the pig that plays the bagpipes (not a common occurrence).
Melrose Abbey Museum
The Abbey Museum was once the The Commendator’s House (lay administrator of the Abbey). This house was renovated and changed in 1590 by James Douglas the last Commendator and has been in this place since.
The museum has many artefacts and is well worth the visit when in Melrose as is the Abbey all be it a ruin.
Melrose Rugby 7’s
Melrose Rugby Football Club was founded in 1877 and is one of the world’s oldest Rugby Football Clubs. The town of Melrose is where 7 a side rugby was thought up by Ned Haig and first played in 1883. The world comes to Melrose in April for the 7s Rugby Tournament.
Three Hills Roman Heritage Museum
Roman Heritage Museum can be found in Melrose town Centre. Give an incite into the roman occupation the sites of the camps and artefacts found on the land.
Abbotsford House between Melrose and Galashiels was the family home of Sir Walter Scott. Walter Scott purchased land and built a cottage which he named Abbotsford and over many years the cottage became what can be seen today a magnificent house and grounds Sir Walter Scott died on September 21 1832 and a public holiday was declared to remember him by.