Marlin’s Wynd High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh
Marlin’s Wynd is below the level of the present streets as Mary King’s Close is. Marlin’s Wynd was to the west of the Tron Kirk and ran down to the Cowgate. Named after John Merlyoune (Marlin), who was incharge of paving the High Street. He requested in memory of his work that he would be buried underneath the paving stones. He was buried at the head of the Wynd (which was named after him) by paving stones in the shape of a grave. Other writings mention that the High Street was paved in 1532 by two brothers John and Bartoulme Foliot. Also a John Merlyoune was paid for building Register House in Edinburg Castle in 1542 giving foundation to the first writings.