Lyon’s Close Royal Mile High Street Edinburgh
Lyon’s Close 215 High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh between Old Stamp Office Close and Jackson’s Close. Possible entrance to Hospice of Elsie Inglis.
Elsie Inglis was born on 16 August 1864 in Nainital India she first moved with her parents to Edinburgh in 1878 In 1892 Elsie Inglis qualified as a licentiate at the Colleges of Physicians and Surgeons in Edinburgh and Glasgow. In 1904 the small hospital opened by the Inglis family moved to the 219 High Street and was renamed The Hospice. In 1905 Inglis was appointed senior consultant of the Bruntsfield Hospital, which then merged with The Hospice in 1911. Elsie Inglis died on the 26 November 1917, she is interned in Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh. From funds that had been raise previously the remainder was used to establish the Elsie Inglis Memorial Maternity Hospital in Edinburgh in July 1925 which later became a part of the Royal Infirmary and still bears her name.