Lothian Road Edinburgh
Lothian Road was built in 1784 to join Princes Street with the southern area of Edinburgh and the Bruntsfield Links. To make this possible many structures were removed to make way for the new roadway.
The Usher Concert Hall Lothian Road Edinburgh
The Usher Hall Edinburgh was opened on 16 March 1914 and was funded by Andrew Usher the whisky Distiller for the sole purpose as a concert hall. The Usher Hall has been used for many different events such as the Commonwealth Games boxing tournament in 1986, Eurovision Song Contest 1972, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra in 1947 and in 1914 a speech by the then Prime Minister Asquith (The War). It is still used to this day for concerts.
Bell Clock Tower Festival Square Lothian Road Edinburgh
The Bell Tower and Clock was presented to he City of Edinburgh by Arthur Bell & Sons Ltd Scotch Whisky Distillers of Perth in 1962. The Clock was originally positioned outside the Usher Hall (possibly as the Usher hall was funded by Andrew Usher and name after him) the clock proved unpopular with concert-goers because its chimes every quarter Hour which was heard over the concert music in the hall. The clock became silent in 2002 due to a fault. In 2010, the clock was taken across the road To its present position in Festival Square but the chimes have never been heard again even though they were fixed.
The Apartheid Statue of a Woman and Child
The statue represents and honours all those killed or imprisoned for their stand against apartheid. The statue was unveiled in 1986 by Suganya Chetty, a member of the African National Congress then living in exile in Edinburgh. For those who do not remember, Nelson Mandela was released on 11th February 1990 after being imprisoned for 27 years and died in 2013 at the age of 99 years. The Father of South Africa.
The Edinburgh Filmhouse Lothian Road Edinburgh
The Edinburgh Film House Lothian Road Edinburgh is the home of the Edinburgh International Film Festival was originally opened in 1978 and extended in 1985. The Filmhouse is a publicly funded cinema and is open 7 days a week showing all genre of films from foreign to arthouse and has three screens.
Alastair Sim (Actor)
The Film House Lothian Road has a plaque to Alastair Sim Alastair Sim was born in Edinburgh on 9 October 1900. He was a Scottish character actor who appeared in a string of classic British Films. He played Ebenezer Scrooge in the 1951 film Scrooge and also the role of Miss Fritton, the headmistress in two St Trinian’s films. The original school was at 10 Palmerston Road in Edinburgh now a private residence described by Ronnie Corbett as a “sad-faced actor, with the voice of a fastidious ghoul”.
Women of Achievement – Lynda Myles Lothian Road Edinburgh
Linda Myles was born in Arbroath in 1947 and became a film and television producer and director of the Edinburgh Film Festival for 8 years. She had success as a producer with a number of independent film including The Commitments in 1991. She also received a British Film Industry special award for services to the film industry.
Catherine Sinclair Fountain Lothian Road Edinburgh
The Sinclair Drinking Fountain one of many donated by Catherine Sinclair to Edinburgh Stood in the centre of the junction between Lothian Road and Princes Street in Edinburgh . Close to the walkway at the corner where St John’s Church stands. The Sinclair Fountain was to give water to the public dogs and horses. The Sinclair Fountain stood circa 14 foot high, the top part can be seen in Gosford Place Gardens of Ferry Road near to the Water of Leith Walkway. The images below show the three sides of the remaining part of the Fountain.
Festival Square Lothian Road Edinburgh