Lawnmarket Wardrop’s Court Royal Mile Edinburgh
This is the last court before crossing Bank Street to the final building in the Lawnmarket, Edinburgh High Court. Wardrop Court was previously Middle Baxter’s Close and the John Wardrop built a tenement in the court and called it Wardrop’s Court with the entrance archway Wardrop’s Close. The entrance is noticeable by the Dragons on each corner. The Dragons were sculpted by J S Gibson circa 1890.
The plaque on the right hand side of the court entrance reads; The pair of dragons facing the Lawnmarket were carved by J S Gibson in the 1890s. The pair at the rear were carved in 1911 by Arthur Geddes when he was 16 under the supervision of Alec Miller, a craftsman closely associated with the arts and crafts movement. Arthur was the son of Patrick Geddes, the influential biologist and town Planner who dedicated much of this life to the regeneration of the Old Town. The dragons were restored in 2012 by the City of Edinburgh Council and Edinburgh World Heritage, with support from the Brownlee Old Town Trust and the Geddes family.
Blackie House Wardrop’s Close Royal Mile Edinburgh
Blackie House was named after the resident James Stuart Blackie. The ornate window surrounds of his house can be seen in North bank Street on the second floor or follow this link Stuart Blackie’s House