Lawnmarket Lady Stair’s Close Royal Mile Edinburgh
The Writers’ Museum Lady Stair’s House
The Writers’ Museum is housed in Lady Stair’s House which was built in 1622. This was originally called Lady Gray’s Close the widow of Lord William Gray who was the wealthiest merchant of the time. After his death the house was sold to the Earl of Stair and the house was renamed after his wife on his death Lady Stair’s House. The Writer’s Museum is dedicated to the lives and work of Scotland’s great literary figures. Rare collections include early editions, manuscripts, portraits, photographs, and personal belongings of Robert Burns, Sir Walter Scott and Robert Louis Stevenson.
Robert Burns Plaque Lawnmarket Royal Mile Edinburgh
The Plaque above Lady Stair’s Close entrance reads; In a house on the east side of the close Robert Burns Lived during his first visit to Edinburgh 1786. The actual close Robert Burns Lived was called Hopper’s Close or Old Baxter’s Close but has not survived. The wall script on the tenement wall was saved when renovations were done circa 1990.