Lauriston Place Edinburgh
Lauriston Place was where The Fire Museum previously occupied Lauriston Fire Station at the top of Lady Lawson Street. The Building still remains next to The Art College. Other building that are, or were in Lauriston Place, Heriot’s Hospital School, Edinburgh Royal Infirmary which was built with the wishes of the 6 times Lord Provost of Edinburgh George Drummond, Merchant Maiden Hospital (Mary Erskine’s) George Watson’s Hospital (George Watson’s College). Mary Erskine’s 1818 – 1870 and George Watsons 1870 – 1932 both used the building in Archibald Place Edinburgh. George Watson’s originally starting in another building which the Royal Infirmary moved to.
Museum Of Fire Edinburgh
The Museum of Fire can be found in Lauriston Place Edinburgh just up from the Grassmarket next to the Edinburgh College of Art and George Heriots School. The Edinburgh Fire Brigade is the oldest municipal fire brigade in the United Kingdom. The statue of the Founder, can be seen in Parliament Square Edinburgh.You can see what the fire-fighters used to put fires out more than 400 years ago. Learn about smoke eaters, steam powered fire engines and chimney pigs during a fascinating visit. Children have the opportunity to try on historic fire gear including brass helmets and ring the fire bells on the engines. The oldest items on display are the ‘cleikes of iron’, used to pull burning thatch from the roof of Edinburgh Castle in the 1400s.
The Central Fire Station opened in 1900 and served Edinburgh for circa 100 years before becoming a museum, but now it has been closed due to funding.
Aye Ready plaque reads; In memory of James Braidwood, first master of fire engines in Edinburgh and founder of the British fire service. Born in Edinburgh in 1800, who died whilst fighting a fire in Tooley Street London in 1861.
Aye Mindit plaque reads; In recognition of all the firefighters in the world who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the service of others. This plaque was unveiled by councilor K harrol, convener of the Lothian and Borders Fire Board, on the 11 September 2002, the first anniversary of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Centre in New York where 343 firefighters gave their lives.
A fire engine from the past stands outside the museum in Lauriston Place that could have been used in the great fire in the High Street in the 1814
Heriot’s Hospital School
Heriot’s Gates Lauriston Place Edinburgh was originally the back door to the School with the Front facing Edinburgh and Edinburgh Castle.
This is the front of Heriot’s Hospital (School). The wealthy of Edinburgh would leave provision in their wills to have a Hospital Built 1650 for the poor fatherless children of Edinburgh, which was what we would call a free boarding School. George Heriot was the earliest others were George Watson who built a Hospital directly across from Heriot’s 1741. William Fettes had a Hospital (school) built on his land at Comely Bank in 1870, The Merchant Maiden Hospital (Mary Erskine’s) Cowgate 1659, John Watson built a hospital Ravelston 1762.
Heriot’s Hospital School from Edinburgh Castle Esplanade front elevation
In Heriot’s School Quadrangle the Chapel and Statue of George Heriot.
Watson’s College and Mary Erskine’s College
George Watson’s Hospital (School) and The Merchant Maiden’s Hospital (school) (Mary Erskine’s) both were situated at the foot of Archibald Place Edinburgh which can be found on the south side of Lauriston Place. The buildings were both incorporated into the Royal Infirmary.
The Telfer Wall at Lauriston Place and Forrest Road Edinburgh
The Telfer wall was built around Heriot’s Hospital School for its protection as it was outside Edinburgh City Wall (Flodden Wall).
This is the remaining part of the Telfer Wall other than at Heriot Place and The Vennel Edinburgh
Formally Lauriston Church
Lauriston United Presbyterian Church is Gothic style building from circa 1860. The church is now in the hands of The Muslim Welfare House which is a charitable organization for serving the needs of overseas students in Britain.
The Meadows Pillars
At the East end of Lauriston Place is one of the entrances to The Meadows The two pillars mark the entrance and a pathway (Middle Meadow Walk) to the Meadows a public park. The pillars at Meadow Walk were erected in 1850. Sir Thomas Hope, of Rankeillor, 8th Baronet in the early to mid-1700s drained and cultivated a marsh in the south side of Edinburgh known as the Meadows previously the Borough Loch which was the supply of water for the people of Edinburgh into what we have today, tree lined walkways and open fields. Sir Thomas Hope died in 1771. The Meadows are protected by the Edinburgh Improvement Act of 1827 which stops anyone building houses on the land area. In 1886, the International Exhibition of Industry, Science and Art was held in the Meadows, which gave it recognition around the world.