King’s Stables Road Edinburgh
King’s Stables Road joins the Old town at the Grassmarket with the New Town at Lothian Road following the Castle Rock. The Kings Bridge which stretches over the King’s Stables Road is where the old town is joined to the New Town at Johnston Terrace and Castle Terrace Edinburgh Joins Old Edinburgh with New Edinburgh at Castle Terrace. The street name originates from when the Stables of the King were on the west side of the street. You will find the west gate of West Princes Street Gardens in King’s Stables Road and the entrance to St Cuthberts Church.
BUM THE VAGABOND DOG WEST PRINCES STREET GARDENS EDINBURGH
Edinburgh and San Diego, California share a twinning link with a difference. Each city is home to a historic famous dog. Edinburgh has Greyfriars Bobby who died in 1872 at the age of 16 years and San Diego has Bum the vagabond dog who died in 1898 age 12 years. Bum can be found at the gate to West Princes Street Gardens of King Stable Road and Bobby stands in George IV Bridge at the top of Candlemaker Row, near the entrance to Greyfriars Kirkyard.
ST CUTHBERT R.C. CHURCH EDINBURGH
St Cuthbert is believed to have founded a church by the side of the Nor Loch at the foot of the Castle Rock. It is believed a church has stood on this site since 850 AD, making it Edinburgh’s oldest church building history mentions St. Cuthbert’s church as far back as 1127. The Church steeple has been in place since 1789. The famous mathematician and inventor, John Napier is buried in the grave yard. In the graveyard are a number of famous people that help shape Edinburgh. Sir Henry Raeburn Painter, James Donaldson founder of Donaldson’s School, Catherine Sinclair author and Philanthropist main funder of the Scott Monument.