Johnston’s Close Lawnmarket
Johnston’s Close Lawnmarket Edinburgh is the first tenement after the west Bow on the south side of the Lawnmarket in the Royal Mile before Riddle’s Land and has no visible name. However, the Land where a tenement was built was owned by Sir Patrick Johnston Lord provost and knight of the realm in 1700 and a member of parliament for the city in 1700 to 1710. A Close would be named after the owner. Also other names connected with the first Close of the Lawnmarket are Johnston Glover and Edward Johnston junior. The close is now a private residence used for short term lets.