James Court Lawnmarket Royal Mile Edinburgh
James’s Court 493 -495 Lawnmarket Edinburgh Named after the builder James Brownhill. James’s Court was built around 1725. The philosopher David Hume and James Boswell the lawyer and author lived here. The court was destroyed by fire and re-built in 1857. There are three entry’s to the Court the West Entry where Sir John Lauder (Lord Fountainhall lived, The East Entry which was previously named Jardine’s Close after George Jardine who live here and Mid Entry the main entrance to the Court where John Dickson of Hartree lived.
James Court is a large area and has a stain Glass window worth seeing and a sculpture of a pigeon in a basket. James Court is also connected to Makars’ Court and the Writers’ Museum. Inscription on Lintel above stain glass window reads Stain Glass Window James Court Lawnmarket Royal Mile Edinburgh NISI DOMINUS FRUSTRA (ONLY THE LORD IN VAIN), with date 1860 and initials FC PH which stands for Free Church Presbytery Hall. The images in the glass are of, cantre, King James VI, with Sir David Lindsay of the Mount and George Buchanan to his right and left. This window is part of the College and Offices of the Free Church of Scotland in North Bank Street Edinburgh.