Islands Firth of Forth Estuary
Islands Firth of Forth Estuary that have been inhabited at some time in their history with stories of treasure, murders and burials. The Islands have all a story to tell. There are guide tours by boat of the islands from South Queensferry and North Berwick.
Firth of Forth Estuary is where the a river Forth enters the North Sea. The River Forth starts in the Trossach Hills outside Stirling and was once the border between Scotland and England. The Firth of Forth estuary has a coastline on the north which if Fife and on the east which is the Lothians. The map below pinpoints many of the towns of the estuary and the City of Edinburgh. You can find out the history and things to see in the places marked on the map on this web site.
1 Stirling 2 Falkirk 3 Bo’ness 4 Linlithgow 5 Blackness Castle 6 South Queensferry 7 Cramond 8 Edinburgh 9 Leith 10 Musselburgh 11 Prestonpans 12 Gullane 13 Dirleton 14 Athelstaneford 15 North Berwick 16 East Linton 17 Dunbar 18 Dunfermline 19 North Queensferry 20 Aberdour 21 Burntisland 22 Kirkcaldy 23 Falkland 24 Leven 25 Anstruther 26 St Andrews.
Islands Firth of Forth Estuary
There are a number of Islands Firth of Forth Estuary, the larger islands are marked with a black dot on the map. A number of the Islands have remotely-operated cameras send live pictures to the Scottish Seabird Centre in North Berwick which can be seen by visitors to the centre. The furthest island into the North Sea is the ISLE OF MAY The most easterly Island in the Forth and studies have revealed over 240 species of bird and 60 varieties of seaweed. This Isle was a black place when the Danes murdered ministers of the church who had tried to escape the plunder of the Danes in the mid to late 800 AD (no picture), and the closest to the bridges at South Queensferry is INCHGARVIE ISLAND On this island King James IV built a castle in 1491. The island has been used for many things, in 1580 was an exile for the Edinburgh plague victims and the Castle was a prison from the early 1500 to the late 1600s.
INCHKEITH ISLAND L’Île de Dieu. (THIS ISLAND OF GOD) and L’Île des Chevaux (THIS ISLAND OF HORSES). As Inchgarvie, Inchkeith was used as a quarantine island in the 14th and 15th centuries. It was occupied by the English in the 16th century and Italian mercenaries fighting for the English in the 16th century. Mary of Guise renamed the island L’Île de Dieu. The soldiers also nicknamed it L’Île des Chevaux It is currently owned by Tom Farmer, founder of Kwikfit Garages.
CRAMOND ISLAND This island is the only island that can be accessed at low tide by foot. The causeway runs at the foot of a row of concrete pylons which were constructed as a submarine defence boom during the Second World War.
FIDRA ISLAND This is a volcanic island created around 335 million years ago. There is a lighthouse on it built in 1885 by Robert Louis Stevenson’s family as were most lighthouses around the British shores. Robert Louis Stevenson often visited the beaches at Dirleton the area known today as Yellowcraigs. Robert Lois Stevenson’s inspiration for his novel Treasure Island came from his days looking at the Island.
LAMB ISLAND, This Island is found between the islands of Fidra and Craigleith. The island was bought by Uri Geller in 2009 for the sum of £30,000 (He believes that it hides Egyptian Treasure).
CRAIGLEITH ISLAND This Island can be found close to North Berwick’s harbour and its claim to fame was having the largest colony of Puffins in Britain numbering almost 30,000. It was also used in the breeding of rabbits for food.
INCHMICKERY ISLAND This uninhabited Island was used during both World War I and World War II the island was used as a gun emplacement and the structures still remain in place.
BASS ROCK The Bass Rock has more than 150,000 nesting Northern Gannets and is the largest single rock gannetry in the world. The naturalist David Attenborough called it the 12 wonder of the natural world.
INCHCOLM ISLAND. This Island may have been occupied since the 6th century when St Columba is said to have visited the priory. The Abbey has stood on the island since 1200. Danes are said to have buried their dead on the island by payment in gold to King Macbeth of Scotland and a tombstone of the 10 century stands as a memorial to the Danish leader.
OXCARS ISLAND Oxcars Lighthouse in the Firth of Forth near to the Fife coast between Inchcolm Island and the Forth Bridges was built by the Stevenson brothers David and Thomas and first lit on 15 February 1886. In 1894 Oxcars was the first lighthouse to be automated, previously it was controlled by two lighthouse keepers on 24 hour rotating shifts.