Holyrood Park Road
THE ROYAL COMMONWEALTH POOL DALKEITH ROAD EDINBURGH
The Royal Commonwealth Pool opened in January 1970 for the Commonwealth Games which were being held in Edinburgh. The Royal Commonwealth Pool was also used for the 1986 Commonwealth Games which were also held in Edinburgh. It was also used in the 2012 Olympic Games and the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. The pool is open daily to the public for swimming.
UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH POLLOCK HALLS
The area that Pollock Halls Stands on had a house on the land known as Arthursley, this could have been renamed prior to the Dicks of Prestonfield purchased the house and land. The house purchased around 1770 was known as Salisbury Green . Later the Nelson (Neilson) family who owned the printers that stood nearby purchased the property in 1860 and built a further 2 property in 1869 called St Leonard’s Hall and Abden Hall. The properties were then purchased by Sir J D Pollock the rector of the University of Edinburgh in 1939 and later he gifted them to the university to be used as student accommodation. Salisbury Green is used as a Hotel and conference facility and St Leonard’s Hall is a wedding venue and function suite while Abden House was left for accommodation for the faculty it is now the Confucius Chinese Institute.
Abden House has two statues in the gardens at the front of the house.One is a statue of Huang Kuan First Chinese Student to Graduate from Edinburgh University 1857. The other is a bust of Confucius. 1 Marchhall Crescent Edinburgh.