High Street Old Fishmarket Close Royal Mile Edinburgh

Old Fishmarket Close High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh

Old Fishmarket Close High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh

The location of the Edinburgh Mercat Cross between 1617 and 1756 can be seen in an octagonal arrangement of cobble stones on the pavement outside the entrance to Old Fishmarket Close in the High street Edinburgh. This was the second position in which the Mercat Cross had stood, the first being in the centre of the road further down the High Street. Adam Smith stands to the right of the close

Old Fishmarket close was one of the casualties of the Great 1824 fire as it was destroyed. Other facts about the Old Fishmarket Close are Edinburgh’s residents would buy their fish and poultry. George Heriot known as “Jinglin’ Geordie”, the kings Jeweller and the founder of George Heriot’s Hospital (school), the school J K Rowling described as Hogwarts in the Harry Potter books and Films. This was also a close that housed the first firefighting appliance. For more information and facts follow this link Adam Smith

Statue of Adam Smith

Adam Smith's Statue High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh

The previous position of the Mercat Cross

High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh Mercat Cross Cobbles

 

Link to Borthwick’s Close   

Return to list of Closes