Hawick Scottish Borders

Hawick Scottish Borders town was formed circa 600 AD by the Angles. Hawick’s main industry for over a century was textiles. The Slitrig Water (river) runs through the town with the Drumlanrig Bridge astride, as does the Teviot River has the Bill McLaren Bridge over it. read on to find more of the sites and history of Hawick.

Coronets and Common Riding Hawick Scottish Borders

Hawick and the Coronet of the Common Riding an annual event held in Hawick the first week of May. The Title coronet is derived from a commissioned officer in a cavalry troop who carried the colours. The cornet is the principal figure during the common-riding, representing the young man who returned from Hornshole in 1514 with the flag of Hexham Priory, captured from the English raiding party in the year after Scotland’s devastating defeat on Flodden Field in 1513. By tradition, he must be born in Hawick, unmarried and remain so for the following two years. The first recorded Cornet was in 1703 although there were Coronets long before this date.

Hawick Rugby, Hawick Scottish Borders

The Hawick Rugby Club has been around since 8th December 1873 and played at Buccleuch Park. In 1885  the dark green jerseys and stockings with white shorts became the colours of Hawick Rugby. In 1888 Hawick moved to its present home, Mansfield Park, Fifty-nine players have played for the scottish national rugby team, players of note Colin Deans, Jim Renwick, Tony Stanger, Alan Tomes and Hugh McLeod.

Wilton Lodge Park, Hawick Scottish Borders

Wilton Lodge Park is community space in Hawick that extends over a  100 acre site That includes sports facilities rugby football and tennis The park has the river Teviot running through it and has a museum with gardens and a waterfall a playpark for the children and café. Also a war memorial and a memorial bust of Bill McLaren the voice of Scottish rugby for almost 50 years, the bridge near to the café that crosses the Teviot River has also been named after the great man. There are also artworks throughout the park and a bandstand. 

Mr Bill McLaren Hawick
 Wilton Lodge Park Bill McLaren Bust Hawick Scottish Borders

Wilton Lodge Park wishing well, salmon sculpture and the base of the Hawick mercat Cross that stood in the High Street outside the tolbooth, it was removed in 1762 while work was carried out on the new build of the present Town Hall which opened in 1886 

  Wilton Lodge Park Wishing Well Hawick Scottish Borders Hawick Mercat Cross base Wilton Lodge Park Hawick Scottish Borders  Wilton Lodge Park Sculpture Hawick Scottish Borders

Wilton Lodge built circa 1640 and grounds were purchased by Hawick Council in 1889 house Hawick Museum, which was founded in 1856 and moved to Wilton Lodge in 1911. Hawick War Memorial was unveiled in 1921.

   Wilton Lodge Park Museum Hawick Scottish Borders  Wilton Lodge Park War Memorial Hawick Scottish Borders

Hawick Town Statues Hawick Scottish Borders

Wilton Lodge Park is community space in Hawick that extends over a  100 acre site That includes sports facilities rugby football and tennis The park has the river Teviot running through it and has a museum with gardens and a waterfall a playpark for the children and café. Also a war memorial and a memorial bust of Bill McLaren the voice of Scottish rugby for almost 50 years, the bridge near to the café that crosses the Teviot River has also been named after the great man. There are also artworks throughout the park and a bandstand. 

The Statue of “the Horse” known as Ken was erected 1914. Turnbull “Turning of the Bull” monument was erected 2009. The monument is of William Rule in the throws of turning the bull and saving the life of Robert the Bruce, a moment in 1313 that changed Scottish history. If the bull had succeeded and killed Robert Bruce, there may not have been the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314, the Declaration or Arbroath in 1320, or the treaty of Northampton in 1328 and William Wallace would have lived a long life. The capturing of an English flag by a young man from Hawick in 1514 at Hornshole.

      Ken "the Horse" Statue Hawick High Street Hawick Scottish Borders  "Turning of the Bull" Turnbull Monument Heritage Hub Hawick Scottish Borders The Flag Hawick Scottish Borders

Borders Textile Towerhouse

Borders Textile Towerhouse (Drumlanrig Tower), now a museum, is the oldest building in Hawick first built by the Douglases of Drumlanrig. The Black tower of Drumlanrig was the only remaining building in Hawick after the town burned to the ground in 1570. The plaque on the wall reads: “Included within these walls is the Black Tower of Drumlanrig, Hawick, residence of the Douglas family and later of the Scotts of Buccleuch. This tower built in the 16th century on an L-shaped plan almost certainly replaced a still earlier tower which in its turn had been preceded by the late 12th century wooden tower of the Lovells on the Mote” The Tower became an Inn in 1769 and and the Tower Hotel and remain so until 1981. A further plaque reads: To this Inn, | The ancient dwelling of the Drumlanrig family | Sir Walter Scott | conducted William Wordsworth and his sister Dorothy | On the 22nd September 1803 | Where Sir Walter and they | resided overnight. 

   The Black Tower OF Drumlanrig from the rear.   The Black Tower OF Drumlanrig from the Front street.  

  Black Tower of Drumlanrig Hawick Scottish Border plaque    The Tower Inn plaque Hawick Scottish Borders

         Drumlanrig Bridge

The original name for the Drumlanrig Bridge is Tower Knowe Bridge which was built in 1776 – 1777. It was widened in 1828 with stone arches on both sides. The south east corner was used as a market. A cantilevered steel footpath was added to the downstream side in 1899 – 1900. The bridge was strengthened in 1976 – 1977 to enable full trunk loading.   

 Drumlanrig Bridge Stone Hawick Scottish Border  Drumlanrig Bridge Hawick Scottish Border  Drumlanrig Bridge Hawick Scottish Border plaque

James Wilson

James Wilson statue stand near where he was born in 1805. He founder of The Economist a weekly paper founded in 1843. James Wilson a successful Scottish businessman (entrepreneur) founded the Chartered Banks of India, Australia and China in 1853, and another Scotsman James Paterson from Aberdeen, set up Standard bank of British South Africa in 1862 The Charter Bank merged with Standard Bank in 1969 to form the Standard Chartered Bank a global banking operation. 

  James Wilson Statue Hawick Scottish Borders   James Wilson Plaque Hawick Scottish Border

Hawick Town Hall 1886, Hawick Scottish Borders

Wilton Lodge Park is community space in Hawick that extends over a  100 acre site That includes sports facilities rugby football and tennis The park has the river Teviot running through it and has a museum with gardens and a waterfall a playpark for the children and café. Also a war memorial and a memorial bust of Bill McLaren the voice of Scottish rugby for almost 50 years, the bridge near to the café that crosses the Teviot River has also been named after the great man. There are also artworks throughout the park and a bandstand. 

The Hawick town hall can be found in the High Street with its large tower and clock faces on all four sides. The town hall was completed in 1886 at what was the South Port (Gate) where the Flesh Market stood. The Mercat Cross of Hawick stood less than 10 feet (3 mtrs) from the town hall. The mercat cross and flesh market were removed in 1762 to allow the widening of the road and later the build of the Town Hall. The Barometer on the wall of the town hall was  presented to the town of Hawick by Charles John Wilson Deanfield 1893. Deanfield House was erected in 1879 for Charles John Wilson of Wilson & Glenny’s Ltd. Woollen Manufacturers and Spinners, Langlands and Ladylaw Mills, Hawick, established in 1797 by William Wilson and his sons. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1891. Directors: James Glenny, J.P.

  Hawick Town Hall Hawick Scottish Borders  South Port (gate) Plaque Hawick Scottish Borders Town Hall

 Charles John Wilson of Wilson & Glenny’s Ltd. Woollen Manufacturers and Spinners, Langlands and Ladylaw Mills, Hawick Scottish Borders  Mercat Cross Plaque Hawick Town Hall Hawick Scottish Borders Memorial plaque to the Kings Own Scottish Borderers Regiment Hawick Town Hall Hawick Scottish Borders Memorial Stone laid by Louisa Jane Hamilton Duchess of Buccleuch and Queensberry  29th August 1885.

Hawick Heritage Centre | The Heart of Hawick

Heart of Hawick is three buildings and a square for events, Tower Mill former spinning mill built in 1852, now has 108 seat auditorium, café bar, Visit Scotland Visitor Information Centre, meeting rooms and workspaces. The Heritage Hub former Corn Exchange, is the home of the Scottish Borders archives, Borders Textile Towerhouse former Black Tower home of the Douglas family an the Scott’s of Buccleuch is a museum, gift shop and gallery space to showcase the region’s textile industry. The Civic Space is the open air venue was originally the Corn Exchange built in 1865 it became a cinema in 1901 and remained in use until 1985 when it was closed, a fire ended the building in 1992 and it was demolished in 1995 leaving the only remaining part of the building in Tower Dykeside pictured below.

 Heart of Hawick Civic Square area Hawick Scottish Borders   Remains Archway and two window frames of Marina Cinema Hawick Scottish Borders   Turning of the bull stands in the civic Square Hawick Scottish Borders

 

Link to Accommodation

Link to All About Edinburgh