Guthrie Street Edinburgh
Guthrie Street was built to replace College Wynd and was named after Dr Thomas Guthrie the founder of the first Ragged School in 1841, which can be seen in Ramsay Lane of Castlehill Royal Mile Edinburgh. Guthrie Street is a link between Chamber Street and the Cowgate Edinburgh.
Thomas Guthrie was the founder of the first Ragged Industrial School in Scotland in 1847. His first introduction to the idea of Ragged Schools was in 1841, when he was the Parish Minister of St. John’s Church in Edinburgh. His first school was in Ramsay Lane and was for the poor and destitute children of Edinburgh. Thomas Guthrie died in 1873 and was buried in The Grange Cemetery Edinburgh. Ragged Schools were free education for the poor and homeless children.
SIR WALTER SCOTT BIRTHPLACE EDINBURGH
The plaque can be seen on the wall at the corner of Guthrie Street and Chamber Street is to signify the location of the house where Sir Walter Scott was born in August 1771. Walter Scott was born in College Wynd which was demolished and replaced with modern housing.