Gullane East Lothian Scotland
Gullane East Lothian is known mainly for Golf with 2 Open Championship Courses Gullane 1 Established in 1884,and Muirfield opened in 1891 . There are also 2 further courses at Gullane No.2 opened 1898 and No.3 opened 1910 and Luffness New formed in 1894 by Mr Henry Hope, owner of Luffness Estate, designed by Tom Morris. The course has remained in the same format since 1894.
Gullane East Lothian Old Church of St Andrew’s
Gullane East Lothian, the Church at Gullane was a parish church run by a vicar after 1268 until it closed in 1612 and all services were taken at Dirleton. Dirleton was dedicated to St. Andrew in 1444. From the 7th Century until early in the 11th Century, Lothian was part of the kingdom of Northumbria. When the Scottish Border was established, in 1018 as it is now there were many changes especially to the church. In 1127 the Bishop of St. Andrews claimed jurisdiction over all the churches in the Lothians.
Gullane East Lothian The Old Smiddy Gullane
Gullane East Lothian Saltcoats Castle
Saltcoats castle ruins on the site of an ancient salt marsh is just situated of the Gullane 3 golf course. Built in the sixteenth century by the Lethingtons of Saltcoats who are also said to be the original owners and constructors of Lennoxlove House in Haddington. Not much to see now but remains of walls can still be seen after 200 years
Gullane War Memorial
To remember the fallen in the World Wars
Gullane Golf Museum
The Heritage of Golf Museum with the development of golf from Europe circa 1450 to the modern game. See old balls and clubs how they were made. From when golf was played one on one or two v two and the crowds followed them round the course, where there were no bunkers and only 5 rules and then when the first written rule in 1744 were produced there were 13. The museum is open by appointment only. Please call David Kirkwood on (44) 0 1620 842 744
Gullane East Lothian Greywalls Hotel and Gardens
Greywalls House was built in 1901 to a design by Sir Edwin Lutyens and is close to the Muirfield Gold Course where the the Gentlemen Golfers of Edinburgh wrote the first rules of golf in 1744. Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers started in Edinburgh on the Bruntsfield Links before moving to Leith, then Musselburgh and finally Gullane.
Luffness House and Do’cot
Luffness House (Castle) originally built in 13th century was one of many destroyed by the invading English armies in the 1500s and was rebuilt as a tower house in 1584. Luffness Do’cot was built circa 1580 and stands in the grounds of Luffness House. It is circular in shape, 18 feet high with walls three foot thick and is where the occupants of Luffness House would get their fresh meat. Luffness House