Gifford Village East Lothian 

Gifford Village near to Haddington in East Lothian, Scotland. A river called the Colstoun Water runs through it. The village is name after Sir Hugo de Giffard of Yester, owner of the baronies of Yester. Yester Castle was built in Yester wood which a church also stood from 1241 (now a ruin). There are two golf courses. Gifford Golf Club and Castle Park Golf Club.   

The Mercat Cross Gifford Village

In the centre of the Village still stands the Mercat Cross erected in 1780

Mercat Cross Gifford Village

Yester Church Gifford Village

Yester Parish Church was built in 1710 and in the bell tower the bell from the old Church of Bothans hangs. The old church was built circa 1490. James Witherspoon was minister of the church from 1720 and his son, John Witherspoon was a regular attendee.

Yester Parish Church Gifford Village

John Witherspoon Plaque Gifford Village

In 1723 a John Witherspoon was born in the Village of Gifford. After his studies he gained a degree from the University of Edinburgh at age 16 (1739) and became a clergyman. He later was offered the position of President of Princeton University in the United States. He Emigrated to the U.S. with his family in 1768 taking the post at Princeton.  8 years later he became the only clergyman to sign the the United States Declaration of Independence on 4 July 1776. There are many plaques in Edinburgh honouring Witherspoon. Two of which are at the New College Mound Place Edinburgh and the Edinburgh Medical School Teviot Place Edinburgh. There is also a statue of Witherspoon in Paisley, Scotland where he was minister of the Laigh Kirk Church, Paisley for 10 years. 

John Witherspoon Gifford Village

John Pitcairn MacKintosh Gifford Village

The plaque of John Pitcairn MacKintosh is on the wall next to Rev. John Witherspoon.  John Pitcairn Mackintosh went to school at Melville College in Edinburgh and then to Universities of Edinburgh, Oxford and Princeton USA. He became a Professor of Politics in the University of Edinburgh from 1954 to 1961. He also served as a Member of Parliament for Berwick & East Lothian from 1966 till 1978. Married to a popular actress and comedian Una Maclean. A great Scot and Politician. 

John Pitcairn MacKintosh Gifford Village

Gifford Village Town Hall 

Gifford Village Town hall was erected in 1887 and is the largest building in Gifford Village with the mercat cross standing nearby. First built in 1775 as the school house. The clock tower was replaced in 1887 when the building became the town hall in celebration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.

 Gifford Town Hall  Gifford Village Town Hall plaque


Link to All About Edinburgh

Link to East Lothian Maps