George Street Edinburgh
George Street was built as the main street of the new town and was named after and by King George III. A street to link the two Squares which stand at the west and east ends of George Street with three street crossing from north to south. George Street has many designer retail shops, restaurants, pubs, night clubs and residences with parking for cars in the the centre of the street.
James Clerk Maxwell George Street Edinburgh
James Clark Maxwell was born in 1831 at 14 India Street Edinburgh and died in 1879. He was one of the greatest scientists that ever lived. James was the scientist who discovered,the theory of electromagnetism. He is named as the father of modern physics. James also made essential contributions to mathematics,astronomy and engineering. Radio, television, radar and communications, all derive from Maxwell’s discovery. Albert Einstein said: “The special theory of relativity owes its origins to Maxwell’s equations of the electromagnetic field”. Ivan Tolstoy, in his biography of Maxwell, wrote:“Maxwell’s importance in the history of scientific thought is comparable to Einstein’s (whom he inspired)”.
Scotland’s National Horticultural Society Plaque George Street Edinburgh
Scotland’s National Horticultural Society Plaque George Street Edinburgh is on the site where Scotland’s National Horticultural Society was founded.in 1809 by Dr Andrew Duncan. It became the Royal Horticultural Society in 1778 by charter of George III. This was the original site of the Royal College of Physicians. This was also a previous site of the Physic Garden from 1675 -1763.
St Andrew’s and St George’s West Church George Street Edinburgh
St Andrew’s Church George Street Edinburgh was built in 1784 and named after St. Andrew Square. St George’s Church in Charlotte Square Edinburgh was built in St George Square, renamed Charlotte Square after King George the III’s wife Charlotte and was united with St Andrew church Edinburgh in 1964, forming St Andrew and St George. In 2010 it was also united with the St Andrew west church in Shandwick Place Edinburgh and became St Andrew and St George West Church. Also a place that Rod Stewart Singer and entertainer had his child christened. This Church was originally to be sited in St Andrew Square, however the site was purchased by Henry Dundas who built his house on the site.
Royal Society of Edinburgh George Street Edinburgh
The RSE was created in 1783 by Royal Charter for “the advancement of learning and useful knowledge”. As many professional bodies and societies of Edinburgh the first meetings of their organisations were held in rooms in the Edinburgh University Old College. The Royal Society of Edinburgh was no different they began with meetings in the library wing in 1807 then moved to another popular meeting place in the day the Physicians Hall in George street eventually moving after short stays in other places to the present building in George Street in 1909. The Royal Society of Edinburgh is a registered charity in Scotland for education and providing the public benefit throughout Scotland.
King George IV Statue George Street Edinburgh
King George IV was the first reigning monarch to make a state visit to Scotland since 1650. The 1822 visit was organised by Sir Walter Scott and Henry Dundas and to include a tartan pageantry, which was later to make tartan become Scotland’s national dress. The bridge that spanned the Cowgate was to be named after George IV. The bridge was completed in 1832 as part of the Improvement Act of 1827. George IV Bridge was built to connect the South Side district of Edinburgh to the New Town. The statue of George IV stands in George Street at the junction of Hanover Street once named George Circle. Once called George Circle. The statue of George IV has Henry Dundas looking down from his elevated pedestal having a good laugh at the garments George IV was wearing which was Full tartan Highland regalia with pink tights.
The Assembly Rooms George Street Edinburgh
The Assembly Rooms opened in 1787, the Assembly Rooms were created as a meeting place, a place to be entertained and a place Royalty used for banquets. The Edinburgh Festival Fringe used it for shows and the centre for meeting after the shows. The 18th century building has survived and is still used for the same purpose since its opening in 1787. There has been a wide range of distinguished guests and historical events. The building has been renovated and returned to its former glory, the interior architectural significance preserved and enhanced. A ballroom, music hall, drawing rooms, crush hall, restaurant and café provide elegant backdrops for all occasions.
William Pitt the Younger George Street Edinburgh
William Pitt (28 May 1759 – 23 January 1806) was a Tory politician and is the youngest Prime Minister that has served in Great Britain at the age 24. His father, William Pitt the Elder, also served as Prime Minister of Great Britain in 1766. William Pitt used the younger to differentiate between himself and his father. William Pitt the Younger was prime minister at the time of the war with France and he was also friends with William Wilberforce and encouraged him to fight to abolish the slave trade in Britain, which he was successful in doing. Unfortunately, it was one year after William Pitt’s death that by act of parliament The Slave Trade Act of 1807 was agreed.
Grand Lodge of Scotland George Street Edinburgh
Freemasons Hall situated at 96 George Street is the worldwide Head Office of the Grand Lodge of Scotland. Freemasonry began in Scotland and is the oldest secular fraternal society in the world. It was recorded in Scotland before 1598. Foundation Stone 1858.
Thomas Chalmers Statue George Street Edinburgh
Thomas Chalmers 17 March 1780 – 31 May 1847 Thomas Chalmers was a Scottish minister, professor of theology, political economist, and a leader of the Free Church of Scotland. He has been called, “Scotland’s greatest nineteenth-century churchman”. Thomas was highly regarded during his lifetime as a natural theologian. He lived for many years in the Edinburgh New Town at 3 Forres Street. Thomas Chalmers died in May 1847. Chalmers was interred in the Grange Cemetery. He is honoured with a statue in George Street up from his home in Forres Street and a bust is on display in the Hall of Heroes of the National Wallace Monument in Stirling.