Geddes’ Entry Royal Mile High Street Edinburgh
JOHN KAY 1742 – 1826
Geddes’ Entry connects with North Foulis’ Close and Old Stamp Office Close and was named after Robert Geddes of Scotstoun a surgeon by profession. On the front wall above the shops can be seen a plaque to John Kay. John Kay was a trained Barber and opened a shop at High Street where he became established and a member of the corporation of barber-surgeons in 1771. John Kay then changed his trade to become a successful painter of miniatures and also publishing sketches and caricatures of the local people which many were unhappy about the way they were portrayed.