Fleshmarket Close High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh
Fleshmarket Close stretched from the High Street North to Market Street before Cockburn Street was built (circa 1860) it cut through many old closes that stretched from the High Street northwards, which evidence of can be seen in Fleshmarket Close where the smallest pub in Edinburgh can be found as well as Ginglin’ Geordies Tavern both on the north side of the severed close. On the High street side of the Fleshmarket Close was where Henry Dundas first practiced as an Advocate and was to become the most powerful person in Scotland.
Jinglin’ Geordie’s Pub Edinburgh
Jinglin’ Geordie’s in Fleshmarket Close was named after George Heriot a famous Edinburgh Jeweller and Goldsmith 1563 – 1624. George Heriot was Jeweller and Goldsmith to King James VI. When George Heriot died he had no family so he left his estate to build a school for the education of “Puire fatherless bairns o the toun of Edinburgh” (poor fatherless children of Edinburgh). The school is still a centre for education and has been described as the school J.K.Rowling’s inspiration for Hogwarts in the Harry Potter books. The picture shows Jnglin’ Geordie’s Tavern looking up Fleshmarket Close to Cockburn Street. The short cut to the High Street Royal Mile from Market Street and Waverley Train Station
Edinburgh’s Smallest Pub Halfway House Fleshmarket Close Edinburgh
The smallest pub in Edinburgh can be found halfway down the north side of Fleshmarket Close on the way to the Market Street entrance of Waverley train station. This tavern offers real ale from all over Scotland.