Edinburgh University Old College Edinburgh
EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY SOUTH BRIDGE EDINBURGH FROM 1583
In the beginning, Robert Reid bequeathed a sum of money in 1558 to erect a university in the City of Edinburgh. The building of the Edinburgh University College building was started in 1581 and the first professor and principal, Robert Rollock was appointed in 1583. He began his teaching of students on the 11 October 1583. On the 16 November 1789 the foundation stone of the New Edinburgh University College was laid by Lord Napier, the direct descendant of the inventor of the logarithms John Napier. Napier Technical College was opened in Edinburgh in 1964 and was named after John Napier. In 2009 it became Edinburgh Napier University and is now a part of the University of Edinburgh.
UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH HISTORY
The University of Edinburgh first opened in 1583 with one teacher and one class in an area called Kirk o’ Fields now known as the Old College in the South Bridge Edinburgh. Today the University of Edinburgh has five areas (campus). The University Central Area is primarily centred on George Square Edinburgh and Bristo Square Edinburgh. The King’s Buildings Campus was founded in 1920 and can be entered from West Mains Road Edinburgh and Mayfield Road Edinburgh, the Campus dedicated to Edinburgh University for the sciences. Western General Hospital is the University of Edinburgh’s centre for Molecular Medicine. Easter Bush Campus is for veterinary Studies, Little France Campus has two buildings, The Chancellor’ Building is the Medical School and main undergraduate teaching and learning centre. The Queen’s Medical Research Institute provides facilities for high quality interdisciplinary research.
HISTORY OF KIRK O’ FIELDS PRIOR TO THE BUILDING OF THE PRESENT COLLEGE
In medieval Edinburgh the site of the University of Edinburgh where the Old College stands today belonged to the Abbey of Holyrood and at that time the 13th century collegiate Church of St Mary in the Fields stood on the same site.The area known at that time as Kirk o’ Fields. The church was damaged in 1544 by King Henry the VIII’s troops during the Burning of Edinburgh and became a ruin in 1550s.The University of Edinburgh was granted the site and opened in 1583. The Old College has not change since it was built in 1789.
PLAQUES ON THE WALLS
There are many sites over Edinburgh that Edinburgh University occupy and there are plaques on many buildings which can be seen throughout this web site.
1 Robert Rollock, first principal and first professor to teach at Edinburgh University 1583.
2 Robert Adam, Architect of the Edinburgh University New College 1789.
3 James Boswell, advocate, traveller, journalist. In 1753-1758: Boswell attended the University of Edinburgh. Discovered by scholars in the 1920s, Boswell’s long-lost journals was one of the major literary discoveries of the 20th century. In his detailed and honest journal entries from the early 1760s until shortly before his death, we get his unique first-hand observations of life and personalities in the second half of the 18th century.
4 James Miranda Barry lived as a man and is believed to be the first female graduate of the University of Edinburgh in 1812. She was also an army surgeon and Inspector General of hospitals in Canada.
5 William Henry Playfair designed the quadrangle in the New University College 1815.
6 James Lorimer, Regius Professor of Public Law at Edinburgh University for 28 years.
7 William James was invited to Edinburgh University to give a lecture at the Gifford Lectures 1901-1902 Gifford lectures appointment is one of the most prestigious honors in Scottish academia.
TALBOT RICE ART GALLERY OLD COLLEGE QUADRANGLE SOUTH BRIDGE EDINBURGH
The Talbot Rice Gallery was named after David Talbot Rice professor of Fine Art at Edinburgh University and an Art historian. In 1967 Talbot Rice became Vice Principal of the University of Edinburgh. He died in Edinburgh in March 1972.
THE KINGS BUILDINGS WEST MAINS ROAD EDINBURGH
The King’s Buildings is a dedicated campus of Edinburgh University for the sciences. Science has been studied at Edinburgh University since the University was established in 1583. King George V, who endorsed the need for a dedicated science campus for the University laid the foundation stone for the first building in 1920 and the campus was named after him. The first building was for Chemistry and named after Joseph Black. Joseph Black FRSE FRCPE FPSG born 1728 and died at the age of 71. A physician and chemist, known for his discoveries of latent heat, specific heat, and carbon dioxide. The Zoology Building dates from 1928.
DAVID BREWSTER K.R. STATUE WEST MAINS ROAD EDINBURGH
David Brewster was born in Jedburgh a town in the Scottish Borders in 1781 and died in Edinburgh in 1868. David Brewster was one of the most important inventors of our time inventing the kaleidoscope, lenticular stereoscope, binocular camera, polyzonal lens, lighthouse illuminator, polarimeter. He also was instrumental in the development of fibre optics and lasers. His statue can be found in the King’s Buildings, one of the University of Edinburgh campus. Brewster is in the Wallace Monument Hall of Heroes in Stirling.