standard-title Edinburgh New Town Edinburgh New Town was built due to overcrowding in the City of Edinburgh (Old Town). The first project was to build a bridge over the Nor Loch from the High Street to Multrees Hill. The North Bridge was built 1763 and the first house was erected in Rose Court in 1767 the house and court are still in use. The New Town was to have three main Streets with a Garden Square at each end. George Street being the main street (named after George III), Queen Street after the Queen and St Giles Street after the patron saint of Edinburgh. This was changed to Princes Street after Frederick and George the two Princes. The Nor Loch was drained and later Gardens were laid as they are today. for the full naming of the New Town see below.