Edinburgh City Wall | Flodden Wall
The Edinburgh City Wall The Flodden and Telfer Walls plus where the Ports or gateways into Edinburgh stood.
The first Edinburgh city wall was erected circa 1450 (The King’s Wall) and then was fortified and extended in 1514 after the Battle of Flodden. A further extension to the Edinburgh city wall was built to include Heriot’s Hospital (school) circa 1630. There was also a wall that extended to the Palace of Holyrood to surround the Canongate area, but this was not considered as a protection as was outwith the city wall. There were a total of 6 gates (gaits or Ports) The first Port (gateway) in the wall from Edinburgh Castle where it starts was the West Port at the foot of the Vennel in the Grassmarket. The second Port on the wall was the Bristo Port which stood at what is now Forrest Road the next gateway was Potter Row Port which would have stood at the south west corner of Edinburgh University building at Lothian Street. The Kow gate (Cowgate Port) was at the end of the Cowgate at the foot of St Mary Street. The Main Port the Nether Bow Port was next at the foot of the High Street and the final port was Leith Wynd Port that stood next to Trinity College Church which was at the edge of the Nor Loch. (Princes Street Gardens area).
The Edinburgh city wall started at Edinburgh Castle went straight down to the west end of the grassmarket continued up to join the Telfer Wall and continued on to Lauriston Place, then turn left along Lauriston past Heriot’s Hospital (school) and left onto Bristo Place at the end of Bristo Place was the Bristo Port the wall then went right to the corner of Potter Row and Edinburgh University where the Potter Row Gate Stood. The wall continued east, what is now South College Street and on to Drummond Street, at the foot of Drummond Street turn left at the Pleasance to the Cowgate Port, then up St Mary Street to the Nether Bow Gate at the foot of the High Street. The Edinburgh city wall continued on where a street called Leith Wynd continued on to the back of the Canongate (North) or Calton Road near to what is now the back entrance to Waverley Station. This is where the Nor Loch and the Trinity College Church were situated.